Thursday, December 31, 2020

Day 7 of 12 Days of Christmas. The light of Christ shining in the darkness.

 

DAY 7 OF THE 12 DAYS OF CHRISTMAS 2020 SERIES.

Manger scene
Manger Scene: 12 days of Christmas 2020 series.



Today is the seventh day of the 12 days of Christmas. Today’s Gospel is JN 1:1-18.  It speaks of Christ coming into the world to shine a light into its darkness.  It also speaks of John the Baptist who prepared the way but also points us to Christ the Light. This Gospel makes it clear that John knew his role- to be a testimony to the light so that all may believe in the One who was sent by the Father, the Incarnate One- Jesus.

It is interesting to consider why this Gospel is chosen for the last day of the year.  We had prepared the way during Advent for Christmas. I think this Gospel is to remind us that we must testify to the light every day.  Jesus, the Son of God came to earth through Mary as a new born babe in Bethlehem.  Jesus is the light of the world and we, who follow Him need to be like John the Baptist by pointing others to Him.

 

So, in our reflection today on the seventh day of Christmastide we might like to:

  • Reflect upon our year personally, as a family, our parish and the world.  What blessings have you received throughout this year? 
  • How do I point others to Christ and shine light into their darkness?
  • What steps will I take during 2021 to continue to be a true disciple of Christ who is the light of the World?
  • Am I like John the Baptist and know my role or do I have no idea what my purpose in life in God’s plan is?  What can I do about  knowing and accepting my role that God asks of me?
  •  How does this Gospel connect with the Solemnity of Christmas?
  • How do I nurture my faith so that I know the truth and am able to share it with others?
  • What has 2020 taught me personally?
  • You may wish to reflect upon this hymn Christ be our Light.


As we complete a very difficult but blessed year, I pray that you will continue to be a light in the darkness, sharing God’s truth and being a beacon of hope to our families, our parish and to our world.

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment