Tuesday, December 22, 2020

Tuesday of the Fourth Week of Advent Year B Gospel Acclamation Series.

 

ADVENT  2020 GOSPEL ACCLAMATION SERIES

Advent Wreath

Advent 2020 Gospel Acclamation Series.



TUESDAY OF THE FOURTH WEEK OF ADVENT:

In preparing for Christmas during Advent, I would like to reflect up on the Gospel Acclamations each day.

You might wonder why I chose to reflect upon the Gospel Acclamations. My reasons are as follows:

 

1.    They are short and can be used as a prayer focus throughout the day.

2.    It encourages me to re-examine the Gospel itself for the day and the connections between the Gospel Acclamation and the Gospel itself.

3.    Gospel Acclamations at Mass can pass by quickly. This advent I want to sit with them prayerfully and give them attention.

 

Each post will proclaim the Gospel Acclamation and then ponder how the acclamation can be lived throughout Advent.

 

GOSPEL ACCLAMATION:

Alleluia, Alleluia. O King of all nations and keystone of the Church:
come and save man, whom you formed from the dust.
Alleluia.

 

Today’s Gospel is taken from LK 1:46-56. It is a continuation from yesterday’s Gospel of the Visitation.  It is Mary’s response to Elizabeth.  Mary’s response which we know as the Magnificat was taken from the Old Testament. She did not compose it there and then whilst responding to Elizabeth.  However, the words were heartfelt and she meant to praise God for all that He had done and was doing in her life as well as for the joy of Elizabeth her cousin, who despite her advanced years was able to conceive herself after many years of being barren. Being barren in those days was considered a slight from God whereas children were considered a blessing from God.  Sadly, many people in our times not only do not consider it a blessing but many kill the unborn child through abortion.  What a difference in the response to conceiving a child.

Mary did not laud it over Elizabeth because she was bearing the Son of God as her child. For many people, that could have been an occasion for pride or power. No, Mary was conceived without sin herself but she also never sinned either personally.  She was able to live her life without ever sinning.  Can we live an hour, a morning, a day without some form of sin of thought, word or deed or omission?  Mary knew that this was because of the grace she had received but she also cooperated with this grace.

.

We may wish to reflect upon:

How do I give God praise and thanksgiving every day in gratitude?

What is my attitude to conceiving a child?

How can I cooperate with grace that God gives me and not sin or sin less?

When do I use power or pride to ’be superior’ with others?  Am I really superior to others?

What have I learned from my advent journey?

What goals will I set for continual growth for the upcoming Christmas season?

 

KEY ACTION WORDS.

O King of all nations.

Keystone of the Church.

Come and save man.

You formed from the dust.


PRAYER FOR TODAY

Jesus, I praise You and I love You today.  You are King of my heart and King of all nations.  You are the keystone of the Church, since You came to save us from sin and to put right the sin of Adam and Eve.   Like Mary, may I praise You and thank You throughout today for  Your many blessings to me.  May I cooperate, like Mary with the graces You provide me today.

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment