Thursday, December 3, 2020

Thursday of the First Week of Advent

 

ADVENT  2020 GOSPEL ACCLAMATION SERIES

 

advent wreath

Advent 2020 Gospel Acclamation series.


THURSDAY OF FIRST WEEK OF ADVENT

In preparing for Christmas during Advent, I would like to reflect up on the Gospel Acclamations each day.

You might wonder why I chose to reflect upon the Gospel Acclamations. My reasons are as follows:

 

1.    They are short and can be used as a prayer focus throughout the day.

2.    It encourages me to re-examine the Gospel itself for the day and the connections between the Gospel Acclamation and the Gospel itself.

3.    Gospel Acclamations at Mass can pass by quickly. This advent I want to sit with them prayerfully and give them attention.

 

Each post will proclaim the Gospel Acclamation and then ponder how the acclamation can be lived throughout Advent.

 

GOSPEL ACCLAMATION:

Alleluia, Alleluia.  Seek the Lord whilst He can be found.  Call on Him while He is near.

The Gospel for Thursday of the First Week of Advent is from Mt 21: 24-27:. In this Gospel, Jesus invites us to do the will of His Father.  He likens it to building a house on rock as compared to ignoring the will of God and building our houses on sand.  We may ask ourselves what is the will of God for me? How do I know what is God’s will for me, for my life?  We may want to review our lives during this first week of advent to see whether our house is built on rock with a firm foundation or if it is build on sand and is ready to collapse. The good news is whether our house is on rock or sand, Jesus is the master builder and He is the cornerstone.

 

On this Thursday of the first week of Advent then, Jesus invites us consider the state of our house- maybe our physical house needs some renovation or decluttering What about our emotional and spiritual house?  Does our emotional and spiritual house need decluttering and renovation too.  Have we built our emotional and spiritual houses on rock or sand? What does it mean to be on a firm foundation with Christ and doing the will of God?

We may wish to reflect upon:

·         What are the areas of my physical, emotional and spiritual house that needs to be placed on a firm foundation in Christ?

·         What areas in my life are built on sand and can be allowed to collapse this advent?

·         What is doing God’s will in my life mean to me this advent? 

·         How will I rebuild my physical, emotional and spiritual life on rock this advent? What is my action plan?

·         What are the hindrances/pitfalls I experience in my life which hinder me from

·         following Jesus?

·         What plan will I make this advent to eradicate at least one of these hindrances.

 

KEY ACTIONS WORDS

·         Seek

·         Found

·         Call on Him

·         While He is near.

PRAYER FOR TODAY

Jesus, doing Your Father’s will in my life can be confusing since at times I am not sure that my will and His Will are in synch.  Help me this advent to understand what the will of God is and conform my will to My Father in Heaven.

May I seek, find, call and know that you are near.  Build my house Jesus on a firm foundation and allow the winds to collapse everything that is not of You in my life during this advent.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment