Tuesday, December 8, 2020

Tuesday of the Second Week of Advent Gospel Acclamation Series. Immaculate Conception of Blessed Virgin Mary

 

ADVENT  2020 GOSPEL ACCLAMATION SERIES
Advent Wreath

Advent 2020 Gospel Acclamation series.


 

TUESDAY  OF  SECOND  WEEK OF ADVENT : 

IMMACULATE CONCEPTION OF BLESSED VIRGIN MARY.

In preparing for Christmas during Advent, I would like to reflect up on the Gospel Acclamations each day.

You might wonder why I chose to reflect upon the Gospel Acclamations. My reasons are as follows:

 

1.    They are short and can be used as a prayer focus throughout the day.

2.    It encourages me to re-examine the Gospel itself for the day and the connections between the Gospel Acclamation and the Gospel itself.

3.    Gospel Acclamations at Mass can pass by quickly. This advent I want to sit with them prayerfully and give them attention.

 

Each post will proclaim the Gospel Acclamation and then ponder how the acclamation can be lived throughout Advent.

 

GOSPEL ACCLAMATION:

Alleluia, Alleluia.  Haul Mary full of grace, the Lord is with you, blessed are you among women. Alleluia.

In today’s Gospel we are given the account of the Annunciation. The Angel visits Mary with the message that she is to be the mother of the Son of God.  Mary questions the angel to find out more and then she consents to the angel’s message with ‘Be it done according to your word’.

 

It should be noted that Mary is the first disciple and although through her Immaculate Conception she was free from sin, she was still human and needed like us to be saved.  However, because she was the mother of God, God ordained that she would be free from sin so that she could carry in her womb, Jesus, the second person of the Trinity.  How could she be sinful and still carry Jesus who is divine and perfect?

We also need to be clear that many people have a notion that Catholics worship Mary. Catholics should never worship Mary- worship and adorations is fitting only for God.  Catholics honour her and ask her intercession. She is not God and does not want to be considered like that. No, she points us always to Jesus, her Son, the Son of God. We may wish to consider our relationship with Mary and ask ourselves are we worshiping her mistakenly or are we truly honouring her.

.

We may wish to reflect upon:

·         How did Mary feel when the Angel visited her?

·         How do I say Yes to Jesus in my life in what He asks of me?

·         What is my relationship with Mary?  Do I honour her?

·         How can I incorporate the Rosary/devotion to Mary into my life?


KEY ACTION WORDS.

Hail Mary 

full of grace.

The Lord is will you.

Blessed are you among women.


PRAYER FOR TODAY

Jesus, You provided Mary with an immaculate conception- free from all sin from the moment of her conception. Mary is indeed pure and undefiled from sin.  Through her intercession, may I prepare the way of the Lord this advent and straighten the paths of sin in my life.  Please journey with me today so that I can say and know ’The Lord is with me’.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment