Saturday, December 19, 2020

Saturday of the Third Week of Advent Gospel Acclamation Series.

 

ADVENT  2020 GOSPEL ACCLAMATION SERIES

Advent Wreath

Advent 2020 Gospel Acclamation series.



SATURDAY OF THE THIRD WEEK OF ADVENT:

In preparing for Christmas during Advent, I would like to reflect up on the Gospel Acclamations each day.

You might wonder why I chose to reflect upon the Gospel Acclamations. My reasons are as follows:

 

1.    They are short and can be used as a prayer focus throughout the day.

2.    It encourages me to re-examine the Gospel itself for the day and the connections between the Gospel Acclamation and the Gospel itself.

3.    Gospel Acclamations at Mass can pass by quickly. This advent I want to sit with them prayerfully and give them attention.

 

Each post will proclaim the Gospel Acclamation and then ponder how the acclamation can be lived throughout Advent.

 

GOSPEL ACCLAMATION:

Alleluia, Alleluia O Root of Jesse's stem
sign of God's Love for all His people.  
Come to saye us without delay. Alleluia.
 
Today’s Gospel is taken from: LK 1:5-25.  It is the Gospel that brings into focus the parents of John the Baptist, in particular his father Zechariah.   When Angel Gabriel announced the good news that he and Elizabeth were going to have a child, the details about the baby’s identity and role he would have in the salvation history of Israel, sadly Zechariah did not believe the angel and consequently became mute for the whole 9 months.  This is important because his muteness leaves him when he writes on a tablet (not a tablet of the modern era of course) ‘his name is John’.  Only then, his speech returns.

When I used to hear this Gospel, I used to think that it was unfair that he lost his speech because he asked the question “How shall I know this? 
For I am an old man, and my wife is advanced in years.”  I used to compare it with Mary asking at the annunciation “ How can this come about since I am a Virgin?”.  Seemed to me to be the same question really and Zechariah got a rough deal.
The key to understanding the difference is in the text

 ‘Both (Zechariah and Elizabeth) were righteous in the eyes of God, observing all the commandments and ordinances of the Lord blamelessly’. 

In other words, Zechariah should have known better. He was a priest and presumably he had received other visions because the crowds outside knew that this must have been the case. If this was the first vision he had received, then the crowd would have been more puzzled.  One gets the impression that Zechariah may have scoffed at the suggestion that Elizabeth and he would have a child since despite wanting to have a child, they were advanced in years (i.e., the body clock for conceiving was a very narrow window).  We know from the story of the annunciation that Elizabeth did conceive herself since the angel makes a point of telling Mary about it.

The other key is understanding that to be barren was considered a slight from God, something shameful must have occurred. He however had been righteous before God and had been praying that they could have a child.  His prayer had been answered and yet when it was answered with the news from the angel, he did not believe.
However, let us not be too harsh with Zechariah.  We do not know the tone of voice and he may have been overwhelmed with all that the angel told him would happen with the child yet to be born.  He did redeem himself when facing opposition from the neighbours 9 months later consent to the name John for the baby- the name the angel gave him in his Gospel. He made his act of faith then. He had no idea when or if his speech would return. Imagine 9 months without being able to speak. He had probably reflected many times on that encounter with the angel.
 
As you can probably tell, I am very partial to the Gospel.  It is a Gospel that I have had to wrestle with over the years to come to a place of understanding and peace. I think this Gospel can teach us a lot.
.
We may wish to reflect upon
When do I remain silent when I need to speak out?
When do I speak when I need to remain silent?
Do I pray for a great need but doubt I will receive it from God?
How do I respond to God when He provides surprises for me?
What areas in my life do I feel humiliated/shameful?
How do I make other people feel shameful, humiliated or less than human?
 

KEY ACTION WORDS.

Sign of God’s love

For all His people

Come

To save us

Without delay.

 

PRAYER FOR TODAY

Jesus Come today and save me without delay.  Come and save me without delay from ( name it/them).  You are love itself. You came to save me.  You came to save all Your people. 

Help me to believe more fully in You, to believe and trust when I pray and to accept that my circumstances are unique.  I do not need to feel ashamed as You love me.  I should not make others feel less than either since You love them. 

Come Lord Jesus teach me to use my tongue for the Glory of You and to learn to keep my tongue still and my ears open to listen to You.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment