Monday, December 21, 2020

Monday of the Fourth Week of Advent Gospel Acclamation Series 2020

 

ADVENT  2020 GOSPEL ACCLAMATION SERIES

Advent Wreath

Advent 2020 Gospel Acclamation Series.



MONDAY OF THE THIRD WEEK OF ADVENT:

In preparing for Christmas during Advent, I would like to reflect up on the Gospel Acclamations each day.

You might wonder why I chose to reflect upon the Gospel Acclamations. My reasons are as follows:

 

1.    They are short and can be used as a prayer focus throughout the day.

2.    It encourages me to re-examine the Gospel itself for the day and the connections between the Gospel Acclamation and the Gospel itself.

3.    Gospel Acclamations at Mass can pass by quickly. This advent I want to sit with them prayerfully and give them attention.

 

Each post will proclaim the Gospel Acclamation and then ponder how the acclamation can be lived throughout Advent.

 

GOSPEL ACCLAMATION:

Alleluia, Alleluia O Emmanuel, our King and Giver of Law:
come to save us, Lord our God!
.  . Alleluia.

 

Today’s Gospel is taken from LK 1:39-45.  It is the Gospel that retells the Visitation of Mary to her cousin Elizabeth. It is important to remember the terrain and the hilly country that Mary had to travel- no cars in those days.  Remember too she was pregnant in what would have been considered peculiar circumstances.  Her cousin Elizabeth who people had called barren, which in those days was considered a slight from God was now in her 6th month.  Elizabeth did conceive herself as distinct from Mary, which was through the power of the Holy Spirit.  Nothing is impossible with God. It should also be considered that Elizabeth and Zechariah had prayed for a child but none, up to this point had been conceived. Still both mothers were together as pregnant mums to be.  Elizabeth was taken back to see Mary and to have a visit from her- ‘Why should I be honoured with a visit from the mother of my Lord’. Notice too that John the Baptist in the womb’ recognised’ Jesus too.  Yes, babies do kick but we can surmise that John the Baptist when he kicked in the womb also had a sense of who Mary was and who it was she was carrying also.   Mary stayed with Elizabeth 3 months- many people have morning sickness in the early months but Mary stayed with Elizabeth for 3 months up until the time of the birth of John the Baptist.  She realised that Elizabeth needed her. She was unselfish and did not think of her own pregnancy needs, but of Elizabeth.

We may wish to reflect upon:

How do I respond to someone I know is in need?

Am I willing to place the other person’s need over my own needs/wants/’desires?

What attitude do I have towards pregnant women?

Do I respect life of the unborn child or think I have the right to kill anunborn child through abortion?

Think of a time/incident in your life when someone came to give you help that you needed?

With advent near to a close, what can I spiritually do in these days?

How have I grown in the Advent season  and what have I learned about my spiritual life during this time?

 

KEY ACTION WORDS.

O Emmanuel

Our King

Giver of the law.

Come

To save us

Lord our God.

 

PRAYER FOR TODAY

Jesus come to us and save us.  You are Emmanuel which means God is with us.  Be with us today. Help me to have a generous heart and to put other people’s needs before my own. Help me to reach out to those in need who come across my path today. Come Lord Jesus and be born in my heart again today.. Let my spirit leap for joy like John the Baptist.

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment