Wednesday, December 2, 2020

Monday of First Week of Advent

 

ADVENT  2020 GOSPEL ACCLAMATION SERIES
Advent Wreath

Advent 2020 Gospel Acclamation Series.

 

MONDAY OF FIRST WEEK OF ADVENT FEAST OF ST ANDREW.

In preparing for Christmas during Advent, I would like to reflect up on the Gospel Acclamations each day.

You might wonder why I chose to reflect upon the Gospel Acclamations. My reasons are as follows:

  •  They are short and can be used as a prayer focus throughout the day.
  •     It encourages me to re-examine the Gospel itself for the day and the connections between the Gospel Acclamation and the Gospel itself.
  •  Gospel Acclamations at Mass can pass by quickly. This advent I want to sit with them prayerfully and give them attention.

 Each post will proclaim the Gospel Acclamation and then ponder how the acclamation can be lived throughout Advent.

 

GOSPEL ACCLAMATION:

Come follow me says the Lord, and I will make you fishers of my people. Alleluia.

 

The Gospel for the Feast of St Andrew is from Mt 4:18-22. It is the calling of the disciples by Jesus to follow Him.  In this Gospel, Andrew does not introduce Simon Peter, his brother to Jesus. They leave their boats and follow Jesus immediately.

If you wish to find out more about St Andrew and some interesting traditions, you may wish to click on this link

On this first day of the first wee of Advent then, Jesus invites us to come follow Him.  Are we ready to leave out boats and follow Him immediately?

We may wish to reflect upon:

  • ·         What boat/s do we need to leave behind this advent to follow Jesus?
  • ·         What might ‘making fishers of my people’ mean to me in my life today?
  • ·         How will I make fishers of my people during advent? 
  • ·         What are the hindrances/pitfalls I experience in my life which hinder me from following Jesus?
  • ·         What plan will I make this advent to eradicate at least one of these hindrances.
  •  You may wish to ponder the Galilee song throughout the day especially the refrain.

KEY ACTION WORDS

·         Come

·         Follow Me

·         Make you.

 

PRAYER FOR TODAY

Come Lord Jesus.  Help me to follow You today.  Make me into the person You want me to be this Advent and this day.


No comments:

Post a Comment