Friday, January 1, 2021

Day 8 of 12 Days of Christmas 2020 series Jesus- name meaning God is with us.

 

DAY 8 OF THE 12 DAYS OF CHRISTMAS 2020 SERIES.

Manger scene

Manger scene: 12 days of Christmas 2020 series icon.



Today is the eighth day of the 12 days of Christmas. Today’s Gospel is LK 2:16-21.  It reflects upon 3 key points, 2 of which can pass us by if we are not attentive when hearing this Gospel.

The 3 key points are:

  •  The role of the Shepherds in going to the manger, sharing the Good news with others     and giving glory to God for what they had seen and heard.
  •  The importance of being contemplative and pondering the truths of our faith in our 
     hearts.
  •  The naming of Jesus in accordance with the name given at the annunciation by angel Gabriel.

 

So, in our reflection today on the seventh day of Christmastide we might like to:

  • Consider how willing are we to share the good news of our faith to others?
  • How swift am I in answering God’s will in my life.  The Shepherds went hastily to Bethlehem after they had been told.  We may not have an angel come to us like the shepherds but we are often given the message of what we need to do God’s will by others.  Are we listening and discerning and willing to act upon it?
  • How grateful am I to God for the blessings received?  Do I praise and thank Him constantly or do I forget to thank and praise God?
  • Do I listen to what God is telling me in my prayer life?  Do I ponder and treasure what God is telling me?  Being contemplative does not mean just listening and pondering. It usually is accompanied by a resolution and action coming from the contemplation.
  • Contemplate the name of Jesus- Jesus saves, name above all names- Jesus/Emmanuel – God is with us.
  • How will I carry the message of Christmas into each day of 2021?
  • What is my spiritual plan for 2021?  Spend some time evaluating my spiritual life, what needs further growth and what I wish to explore in 2021 to develop my faith further?

 

As we begin another year, I pray that we will change our hearts, be resolved to live our faith in its fullness and finish 2021 different people in body, mind, soul and spirit close to God.

No comments:

Post a Comment