Friday, January 1, 2021

Happy New Year: Solemnity of Mary, Mother of God.

 

FEAST DAY SERIES.

SOLEMNITY  OF MARY MOTHER OF GOD.

Mary, Mother of God

The Blessed Virgin Mary.


 

Today the Church celebrates the Solemnity of Mary, Mother of God, our Lady's greatest title. This feast is the octave of Christmas. In the modern Roman Calendar only Christmas and Easter enjoy the privilege of an octave. According to the 1962 Missal of St. John XXIII the Extraordinary Form of the Roman Rite, today is the Solemnity of Circumcision of Our Lord. This comes from today’s Gospel LK 2:16-21 where Jesus is named according to the name given to Mary at the annunciation.

It is important to think about the name of Jesus because Jesus Emmanuel means God is with us.  How comforting is this to us especially in these difficult times.  When we are stressed or concerned, we can utter prayerfully the name of Jesus and remember that God is with us.  Of course, saying the name of Jesus aloud or silently in our hearts must be done with reverence since if we utter His name irreverently, we are sinning against the second commandment.

We can ensure that we do use the name of God irreverently so that we do not commit sin in this way.  We can also firmly correct others who do use the name of God in vain teaching them in the process.  Many people do not know that this is sinful.  We can do acts of reparation for those who do violate the sacred name of God especially in the media.  We can write to various media outlets and give our position to try to stop it being common place and acceptable.  It starts with us individually- how important is the name of Jesus to me?

THINKING ABOUT THIS SOLEMENITY

The Catechism of the Catholic Church says:

"Mary, the all-holy ever-virgin Mother of God, is the masterwork of the mission of the Son and the Spirit in the fullness of time. For the first time in the plan of salvation and because his Spirit had prepared her, the Father found the dwelling place where his Son and his Spirit could dwell among men. In this sense the Church's Tradition has often read the most beautiful texts on wisdom in relation to Mary. Mary is acclaimed and represented in the liturgy as the "Seat of Wisdom." — Catechism of the Catholic Church 721

BRINGING MARY INTO OUR YEAR.

Rosary: Many Catholics have stopped saying the Rosary and do not know its true power and value. Some say it intermittently and some are regular reciters of this great prayer.

I have to say I was brought up saying the rosary when I was young and I failed to say it regularly until 2020. Some people find it difficult to say the rosary as their mind wanders or there are other distractions/associations which impact on them.

If this sounds like you, I can only share my experience last year.  I made up my mind to start with one decade per day for the year.  Yes, that is right. One decade. I began with one decade and said it for a month. Then the next month I added another decade and so on.  I have to say that I had to look up some of the mysteries of the Rosary- I was hazy on recalling some of them.  That gave me the opportunity to think about the mystery, to check out the scripture quote for that mystery and to become familiar again with the order of the mysteries.

The other thing that helped me get started with the Rosary was to have a particular intention. I started that way but added further intentions around the same overall intention.  My intention was to pray for my parish. It is urgent need of revitalisation, renewal, resurgence of faith etc. So that was my starting point. Perhaps you have a special intention and can start to say the Rosary for that intention.  Invite your family to pray for that special intention.  Introduce it to your family in whatever way is appropriate. Perhaps the children would like to nominate their own special intention for the month and pray one decade every day for that intention.  It is a great opportunity to teach them about the mysteries of the Rosary as well.

What I have come to learn recently that Our Lady gave 15 promises  to those who say the Rosary. Do you know the 15 Promises?  I certainly did not.  Here are the 15 Promises.

15 PROMISES OF OUR LADY TO THOSE WHO SAY THE ROSARY.

Fifteen Promises of the Blessed Virgin to Christians Who Faithfully Pray the Rosary

  1. To all those who shall pray my Rosary devoutly, I promise my special protection and great graces.
  2. Those who shall persevere in the recitation of my Rosary will receive some special grace.
  3. The Rosary will be a very powerful armour against hell; it will destroy vice, deliver from sin and dispel heresy.
  4. The rosary will make virtue and good works flourish, and will obtain for souls the most abundant divine mercies. It will draw the hearts of men from the love of the world and its vanities, and will lift them to the desire of eternal things. Oh, that souls would sanctify themselves by this means.
  5. Those who trust themselves to me through the Rosary will not perish.
  6. Whoever recites my Rosary devoutly reflecting on the mysteries, shall never be overwhelmed by misfortune. He will not experience the anger of God nor will he perish by an unprovided death. The sinner will be converted; the just will persevere in grace and merit eternal life.
  7. Those truly devoted to my Rosary shall not die without the sacraments of the Church.
  8. Those who are faithful to recite my Rosary shall have during their life and at their death the light of God and the plenitude of His graces and will share in the merits of the blessed.
  9. I will deliver promptly from purgatory souls devoted to my Rosary.
  10. True children of my Rosary will enjoy great glory in heaven.
  11. What you shall ask through my Rosary shall obtain.
  12. To those who propagate my Rosary I promise aid in all their necessities.
  13. I have obtained from my Son that all the members of the Rosary Confraternity shall have as their intercessors, in life and in death, the entire celestial court.
  14. Those who recite my Rosary faithfully are my beloved children, the brothers and sisters of Jesus Christ.
  15. Devotion to my Rosary is a special sign of predestination.

Wow, what amazing promises by our Blessed Mother to those who say the Rosary faithfully.  Do you want to know more about these promises?  Here is an interesting article on the 15 Promises.

Depending on your starting point with regards the Rosary, why not as part of your New Year Resolution spiritually, add to your plan

  • ·         one decade of the Rosary each day for the whole year or
  • ·         one decade each day for one month before adding another one and so on.
  • ·         5 decades each day according to the prescribed Church plan ( eg Glorious-Sundays, Wednesdays, Joyful- Monday/Saturdays, Sorrowful- Tuesday/Friday, and Luminous- Thursday.
  • ·         Ask your Parish Priest whether you can start saying the Rosary before Mass either on certain days or each day.
  • ·         If 2021 means that many Catholics will not be able to attend Church in person, why not start a zoom group for the Rosary in your Parish either weekly or in the Month of May and October and/or for Our Lady’s feast days throughout the year.

 

 
Would you like to gain a plenary indulgence on New Years Day?

A plenary indulgence may be gained by reciting or singing the hymn Veni Creator Spiritus on the first day of the year. This hymn  is traditionally sung for beginnings of things, calling on the Holy Spirit before endeavouring something new.

To gain a plenary indulgence there are certain requirements as specified by the Catholic Church.  To read  about these Plenary Indulgence Conditions see here


How will YOU  honour our Blessed Mother- Mary Mother of God during 2021?

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment