Saturday, January 2, 2021

Day 9 of 12 days of Christmas series

 

DAY 9 OF THE 12 DAYS OF CHRISTMAS 2020 SERIES.

Manger scene

Manger scene: 12 days of Christmas series icon.



Today is the ninth day of the 12 days of Christmas. Today’s Gospel is Jn 1:19-28. In this Gospel John the Baptist is confronted by the Priests, Levites and Pharisees to question him about his identity and the work he was doing- namely baptising.  We can safely say I think that their intention was not so much to learn about his identity and be converted, but because they felt threatened by him in relation to their status in life. He was becoming known and followed among the people.  They did not want their own power/status to be eroded.

The second point to note that John only shared with them his identity when he was pushed. Why is that?  He was most likely aware of their intentions, wanted to continue his work without interruption and because he had humility.  He was already aware that Jesus was in his midst. He knew he was not the Messiah but his role was to point the way.

 

  • So, in our reflection today on the ninth day of Christmastide we might like to:
  • Am I sure of my Christian identity?  Am I confident in it or prefer to hide from it?
  • What would I say about my role that Jesus has given me to other people?
  • Do I point the way to Jesus?  How can I do this in my life regularly?
  • Do I feel like I am a voice in the wilderness in my parish?  How can I continue to stand u for the truth that Jesus teaches when f experience alienation, rejection or isolation?
  • How does John the Baptist inspire you and how can that inspiration be carried forward into 2021?

 

John the Baptist knew his identity and his role for the mission of Christ.  We may like to pray to him to show us the way to Christ when we feel uncertain of our role and identity in Christ.  Will I also be a voice crying the wilderness in 2021?

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment