Sunday, July 25, 2010

Opening Prayer Series: 17th Sunday of the Year

OPENING PRAYER SERIES:

Saying Mass: Opening Prayer Series.


OPENING PRAYER



The Opening Prayer of the Mass for the 17th Sunday of the Year reads as follows:

Let us pray 
(that we will make good use of the gifts that God has given us)
God our Father, and protector, 
without You, nothing is holy, 
nothing has value. 
Guide us to everlasting life  
by helping us to use widely 
the blessings You have given to the world.

REFLECTION QUESTIONS


In making this prayer tangible for my life during this week, the following reflection questions emerged: 

1. What are the gifts God has given me?
2. How do I presently/recent past been using these gifts?
3. How will make better use of the gifts God has given me?
4. How can I recommit to God being no1 in my life?
5. How might I use widely the blessings God has given to the world this week in my life?
6. How is being guided to everlasting life and using God's gifts connected?

7. What will I do differently this week as a result of attending Mass?

GOSPEL REFLECTIONS

In today's Gospel, Jesus gives us ' The Lord's Prayer' which is a model for how we are meant to pray. There are many commentaries on 'the Lord's Prayer', but suffice to say it is important when we pray to put God first, before we ask for what we need. In other words, think of the giver (God) not the gift, since the gift is a privilege to receive not a right.  The exchange attitude that often prevails in society at Christmas is not appropriate.

In this Gospel we are told 'Ask and it will be given to you'.  Sometimes we might feel that this has not been true in our lives- we have asked and not received.  However, God always hears our prayers and gives us what is best.  I have to admit that it is sometimes in retrospect that I can acknowledge it.  It is often a cause of relief and joy that God did not give me what I truly thought was best for me at the time.

Let us recommit to placing God as no 1 in our lives, be in relationship with Him (prayer) and placing our trust in Him as we ask for what we need , knowing that He gives what is best and always hears and answers our prayer.

During this coming week, may we experience afresh

 'Lord, on the day I called for help, You answered me'.


.

No comments:

Post a Comment