Friday, July 9, 2010

Booke Review Series: Understanding People

Book Review Series: Understanding People


Although this book is most helpful for people in the helping professions, it seems to me that the title says it all 'understanding people'. This is what we are all called to do. Understanding one's fellow human being is a beautiful gift that God offers to all of us each day. It is the skill that needs honing to be able to reach another that is often required.

Although I found this book to be pleasant reading, it was also profound in content, personally challenging and a source of encouragement, as it brought me into the journey of what I am likely to encounter as a Christian Counsellor 

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book from the point of view of both content and presentation.  The questions at the end of each chapter provided me with not only an opportunity to review my learning from that chapter, but were also a wonderful source for my meditation and prayer time.  In working with the questions in this time, I felt a sense of God’s blessing on my study, as well as a sense of confirmation that, despite my present feelings of inadequacy for such a task, that I am not alone. God will be there with me to support, help and guide me when the time comes to commence counselling.

The information presented on such a wide variety of counselling issues was most useful and assessable.  I benefited from many of the ideas presented in the book (such as thought stopping, relaxation techniques, anger log, the mastery and pleasure schedule) and have endeavoured to trial these skills on myself throughout these weeks. Developing these skills have been welcomed additions to my self-discovery journey.

The author’s summaries of each chapter were succinct and informative, and were particularly beneficial in clarifying my understanding of the issues involved (particularly Chapter 19-Bipolar Disorder). Throughout the reading of the book, I was constantly being in-filled with new information, so the short summaries provided fresh insight to conditions previously unknown (either partially or completely) 

I also found the counselling samples of conversation enlightening and beneficial.  From these samples, I was able to glean the appropriate response of the counsellor, and given the same situation, ask myself what response would I have given to the client. In working with some of these samples, I have become much more aware of conversations, listening intently to the person and trying to recognise and match any of the symptoms with those outlined in the book.

Throughout the book, I was very aware of the author’s constant theme of truth and the ability of the client to change his/her misbeliefs and lies that have been part of his/her lives.  Obviously, truth can only envelop the client if he/she chooses to make this change.  The Christian counsellor, through the help and wisdom of the Holy Spirit, is able to facilitate that change with the client.

So whether you are in the helping profession or not, this book is definitely worth reading if you wish to nurture and enhance your relationships with your fellow human beings.



Posted by New Horizons at 9:15 AM 



No comments:

Post a Comment