Sunday, August 1, 2010

Opening Prayer Series 18th Sunday of Year C


OPENING PRAYER SERIES 

THE MASS: OPENING PRAYER SERIES ICON.




OPENING PRAYER


The Opening Prayer of the Mass for the 18th Sunday of the Year reads as follows:
Let us pray
(for the gift of God's forgiveness and love)
Father of everlasting goodness,
our origin and guide,
be close to us
and hear the prayers of all who praise You.
Forgive our sins and restore us to life.
Keep us safe in Your love.

REFLECTIONS QUESTIONS


In making this prayer tangible for my life during this week, the following reflection questions emerged:

1. What does it mean to me to receive the gift of God's forgiveness and love?
2. What are the problems/anxieties or challenges that I experience in receiving God's forgiveness in the Sacrament of Reconciliation?
3. What might I do to overcome these difficulties?
4. What areas of my life need God to be my origin and guide?
5. How can I be closer to God this coming week- what changes do I need to make to be closer to God?
6. What obstacles do I put in God's way so that He is not close to me?
7. Why is the prayer of praise so important- how does the prayer of praise fit into my prayer life?
8. What does being safe in God's love mean to me and how does God keep me safe in His love?

GOSPEL REFELECTION

In today's Gospel we are reminded again to get our priorities right- we are to be rich in the sight of God, rather than putting worldly treasure as a first priority. Jesus also reminds us to 'be watchful and be on our guard against avarice of any kind, for a man's life is not made secure by what he owns, even when he has more than he needs'.

Let us take time this week to consider how we might stand in the sight of God, take the warning about avarice seriously and ponder how our soul would be should God make a demand of it during this week.

How will your life be different this week after reflecting on this Gospel and attending Sunday Mass?



No comments:

Post a Comment