Tuesday, August 3, 2010

World Youth Day Series: Introduction


World Youth Day Series: Introduction

Welcome to my WORLD YOUTH DAY Series.

world Youth Day Cross and Icon 


My desire over these next twelve months leading up to WYD in Madrid is to contribute through this weekly WYD series by sharing about the experiences of WYD, highlight possible difficulties encountered during such a magnificent gathering and most importantly encourage possible pilgrims to prepare, embrace and grow from attending WYD.

So you might be wondering how I am interested in WYD- why might you read my weekly posts on WYD?
.
I was a pilgrim at WYD in 2000 in Rome and WYD in Sydney in 2008.  Both experiences were completely different. This series is not solely about sharing my WYD experiences, but to both help you who may be considering attending WYD in Madrid in 2011 to attend, and benefit from it in your lives afterwards.
It is a life changing experience.

Some of the topics to be included in the WYD series include:
·                     Why do you want to attend WYD?
·                     How to prepare physically, emotionally and spiritually for WYD?
·                     How can I help others attend if I am not able to attend?
·                     Cross and Icon 
·                     Days in the Diocese.
·                     Planning your pilgrimage and the World Youth Day Cold.
·                     Group Initiatives after WYD is over.
·                     Life before during and after WYD.
and the list cf topics will go on. 

My first reflection challenge for you who might be thinking of attending WYD  is to ask yourself this simple question
Why do I want attend World Youth Day?

1.            Sit down either before the blessed Sacrament or in a quiet reflective place.  Calm your spirit and get in touch with Jesus within you.  
2.            Speak to Jesus in prayer about your desire to attend WYD. Ask the Holy Spirit to guide you.
3.            When you are ready, write down in your WYD journal all the reasons you want to attend- in any order just as they emerge from your heart in this quiet time.  Do not screen them at this stage.
4.            Remember let your heart do the talking and allow the pen to write itself.

The importance of this exercise is not to analyze your reasons or filter them out - you are testing the waters to see if you are a possible pilgrim at this stage- all your reasons are valid at some level as they will tell you something about yourself and your desire to attend. 

The one thing I learned from my second experience of WYD is that I prepared myself at all levels, and gained so much more from the WYD journey. I encourage you to do likewise.

By the time WYD comes in 12 months’ time, I hope that I will have 'planted and built up in Jesus Christ firm in the faith' through this WYD series.


No comments:

Post a Comment