Friday, August 27, 2010

Compendium Series: Understanding Apostolic Tradition


Compendium Series:

JESUS THE TEACHER: COMPENDIUM SERIES 


Understanding Apostolic Tradition 

12. What is Apostolic Tradition? (CCC: 75-79,83, 96,98)


Compendium states: 


Apostolic Tradition is the transmission of the message of Christ brought about from the very beginnings of Christianity by means of preaching, witness, institutions, worship and inspired writingsThe apostles transmitted all they received from Christ and from the Holy Spirit to the successors, the bishops and through them all generations until the end of the world.

 What does this mean for me?


1. I am able to pray for the bishops as the successors of the Apostles and appreciate their teaching in the light of their position in the Church.
2. I am able to appreciate that the message of Christ is assessable to me via preaching, witness, institutions, worship and inspired writings.

Questions to consider:

1.            How well do I listen to the priest preaching at Mass?
2.            Do I accept his preaching (provided it is authentic) as the message of Christ to me?
3.            Am I interested enough in the relationship with God to explore the message of Christ through inspired writings?
4.            How am I able to co-operate with the bishops as the successor of the Apostles in transmitting the message of Christ through my witness of my life?

In the Nicene creed that we recite together at Mass  we say ..'one holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church'...
During the week, why not consider your views in the light of what the Compendium states about Apostolic Tradition and decide how you will appreciate this aspect of our faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment