Thursday, August 5, 2010

Compendium Series: Three Stages of Revelation


COMPENDIUM SERIES


CHRIST THE TEACHER



In today's Compendium Series, let us consider what God's revelation is, its three phases as stated in the Compendium, and what God's revelation means for me.


7. What are the first stages of God’s revelation? (CCC: 54-56, 70-73) 

Compendium states:


From the beginning, God manifested himself to our first parents, Adam and Eve and invited them to intimate communion with himself. After their fall, he did not cease his revelation to them but promised salvation for all their descendants.  After the flood, he made a covenant with Noah, a covenant between himself and all living beings.

What does this mean for me?


  1. I have a greater insight into the fall of Adam and Eve-giving up God’s invitation to intimate communion with himself through their sin of pride.
  2. God is all loving despite their sin by promising salvation to their descendants.
  3. God, You are all loving to me despite my sins.  I want to accept daily your invitation of intimate communion.
  4. Read Genesis chapter 1-3 in the light of God’s invitation to intimate communion and his promise of salvation to their descendants.


Questions to consider:

  1. What does intimate communion with God mean for me?
  2. Do I value the gift of salvation and what do I do to nourish my spiritual journey?
  3. What was the covenant that God made with Noah and all living beings?
  4. Does reading Genesis Chapter 9 help me understand God’s covenant with Noah and with me (all living beings)?

8. What are the next stages of God’s Revelation? (CCC: 59-64,72)


Compendium states:

God chose Abram, calling him out of his country, making him ‘the father of a multitude of nations’ (Genesis 17:5), and promising to bless in him “all the nations of the earth” (Genesis 12:3).  The people descended from Abraham would be the trustee of the divine promise made to the patriarchs.  God formed Israel as his chosen people freeing them from slavery in Egypt, establishing with them the covenant of Mount Sinai and through Moses, giving them his law.  The prophets proclaimed a radial redemption of the people and a salvation would include all nations in a new and everlasting covenant.  From the people of Israel and from the house of King David, would be born the Messiah, Jesus.

What does this mean for me?


Through Abraham who is our father in faith, I am also a trustee of the divine promise. Through salvation, I am freed from the slavery of sin and I am chosen to belong to the everlasting covenant.
If you wish to learn more about Abraham, our father in faith (chapter 17) or the book of Genesis, you might like to check out my Genesis series in the Scripture category, where I explore each chapter weekly.

Questions to consider:
  1. How do I exercise my role as trustee of the divine promise?
  2. How do I feel when God calls me out of my comfort zone- (out of my own country)?
  3. Do I proclaim a radical redemption in my life by the way I live each day?


9. What is the full and definitive stage of God’s Revelation? (CCC: 65-66,73) 

Compendium states:


The full and definitive stage of God’s Revelation is accomplished in his Word made flesh, Jesus Christ, the mediator and fullness of Revelation.  He being the only-begotten Son of God made man is the perfect and definitive Word of the Father.  In the Sending of the Son, and gifts of the Spirit, Revelation is now fully complete, although the faith significance of the Church must gradually grasp its full significance over the course of the centuries.

What does this mean for me?

During Advent and Christmas, the Word becoming flesh, Jesus Christ, the mediator and fullness of Revelation takes on more significance upon which to meditate.

Although the Revelation is now complete, I need to ask the Holy Spirit to help me grasp its full significance for me.

Questions to consider:

  1. How do I enflesh Jesus as the Word made flesh?
  2. Do I appreciate my faith and ask the Holy Spirit to enliven it so that I may grasp the fullness of the truths?
  3. How do I encourage others to understand and appreciate the fullness of God’s Revelation?


May God's revelation to you flourish during this week.




No comments:

Post a Comment