Sunday, June 6, 2010

Opening Prayer Series: Feast of Corpus Christi


Opening Prayer Series:


THE MASS: OPENING PRAYER SERIES ICON.


Feast of the Body and Blood of Christ (Corpus Christi)


OPENING PRAYER


The Opening Prayer of the Mass for the feast of the Body and Blood of Christ reads as follows:
Let us pray
(to the Lord who gives Himself in the Eucharist,
that this sacrament may bring us salvation and peace)

Lord Jesus Christ,
You give us the Eucharist as the memorial of Your suffering and death.
May our worship of this sacrament of Your body and blood 
help us to experience the salvation You won for us 
and the peace of the kingdom 
                                  where You live with the Father and the Holy Spirit, 
one God, for ever and ever.


REFLECTION QUESTIONS

In making this prayer tangible for my life during this week, the following reflection questions emerged:

1. What is my attitude to the Eucharist- do I believe in the real presence in the Eucharist?
2. Why is the Eucharist linked to Christ's suffering and death and how does that link impact on our lives?
3. How grateful am I for the salvation Christ has won for me and how does that manifest itself in my life?
4. What is the peace of the kingdom and how might it be experienced in my life this week?
5. How might I increase my faith and love of Jesus truly present in the Eucharist?

REFLECTION.

The Feast of the Body and blood of Christ is a wonderful feast as it focuses on the unique gift of Himself given for us in the Eucharist.  On this wonderful feast we have a chance to renew our love for Jesus in the Blessed Sacrament. As Catholics we believe that when we receive Holy Communion, Christ is truly present because of the words of consecration said by the priest at Mass although the appearance of the bread and wine remains. 

My parish is celebrating with exposition during the afternoon and having Solemn Vespers in the evening before the Blessed Sacrament. I hope that you will be able to spend some extra time with Jesus to reflect on this wonderful gift of Himself to each of us personally.  

May you celebrate with Jesus on this special feast.


No comments:

Post a Comment