Friday, June 25, 2010

Growing in relationship with God as Father


Growing in relationship with God as Father
'FATHER GOD'

Every now and again, I buy a book which I find to be a gem because  I read it  a number of times  over a number of years and still get so much from it each time I read it. I refer to this type of book as a ‘journey’ book in that it seems to be a type of book that 1 could re-read in months or in years to come ,and tap into the issues on a different level again and it would meet me on my journey.  It is also the type of book that I could use quite profitably over a number of weeks in my personal reflection time with the Lord.
One of my journey books which I read again some time ago, and have recently reviewed again for my spiritual growth is The Father Heart of Godhttps://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/proxy/AVvXsEj7QQuqaBCG7hg61iFvAg4yAyzv5vZ72WwKJWGPNUPy2IeknZCiNtwVFs4GgTAjONqjO5pGATCk7KslAIu8aRTT2x8cbkpV3x9nY7AcLLBprYtzOe6j_3F04IFSxhmcCAGcqfFgErn09r7tk-e5XQ3l6knkBV_KhR6J91Euikpqb4uPvwmozbGkis5c8O8zv1GBCI6JxzLBstOB-WFsVXJAv2n69z2E=s0-d by Floyd McClung. 

Although I found this book to be pleasant reading, it was also profound in content, personally challenging and a source of healing as it brought me into the journey of going deeper into relationship with the Father’s heart.
I found that the book profoundly moved me into action in regard to:

·                     A thorough examination of my relationship I have with my own father (and father type figures)
·                     A review of my relationship with Father God.
·                     An overview of my life looking specifically at how I have been hurt and how these hurts have blocked the Father’s love.
·                     A deeper awareness of my responses to these hurts- how I have dealt with them in the past and how I would deal with them now.
·                     A thorough examination of my capacity to forgive and all that it entails as a Christian. 
·                     A review of my capacity to deal with disappointments.
In tackling these issues, a spirit of negativity could have become overwhelming.  I soaked these questions and issues in prayer. Thankfully, I sensed God’s blessing, so tackling some sensitive areas was a positive and healing experience.  As the author rightly reminds us ‘ it is not enough to know about God but to enter into relationship with Him.

Chapter 3 which dealt with the ‘Waiting Father’ was particularly intense and as I read it, I realized that I had been touched deeply and given me fresh insight to God’s love for me, and his longing to forgive me. I gained from this insight into the Father’s heart. 

Each of the chapters in the book has offered me lot of food for thought. By personalizing the issues in each chapter, I feel that I have benefited from this book, because I feel that it has brought me closer in my relationship with God.  In dealing with some of the issues already cited above, it has made me more aware of my own fragility and has paved the way for a deeper conversion of heart. 

In this season of Ordinary Time,  it is worthwhile to review our relationship with God. I hope that my thoughts in this post provide food for thought and encourage you to nurture your relationship with Father God.



No comments:

Post a Comment