Sunday, June 13, 2010

Opening Prayer Series: 11th Sunday of Year.

OPENING PRAYER SERIES.

Opening Prayer Series Icon- The Mass.



OPENING PRAYER

The Opening Prayer of the Mass for the 11th Sunday of the Year reads as follows:

Let us pray 
(for the grace to follow Christ more closely)
Almighty God,
our hope and our strength 
without You we falter,
Help us to follow Christ 
and to live according to Your will.

REFLECTION QUESTIONS

In making this prayer tangible for my life during this week, the following reflection questions emerged: 

1. How is God my hope and strength in specific areas of my life this coming week (e.g. dealing with 'difficult' work colleagues, attending work meetings, facing the household chores, preparing the family meal)?
2. In what ways do I attempt to be independent of God?
3. In what areas of my life do I falter- am I ready to acknowledge my need of God in the sacrament of Reconciliation?
4. What do I need to do to follow Christ in my life this week? What changes will I make compared to last week?
5. What does it mean to me to live according to God's will?

GOSPEL REFLECTION

Today we recommence the readings of Year C in Ordinary Time, with the readings of Luke's Gospel.
All the readings focus on the theme of forgiveness, and highlights Christ's desire to forgive as stated in Samuel 'The Lord for his part, forgives your sin; you are not to die'.   

We need to ask God daily to help us crucify our inadequacies, sins and weaknesses to the cross of Christ so that we can live for Him, since Christ lives in each of us.  Thankfully, as Catholics, we can receive the Sacrament of Reconciliation to receive Christ's healing and forgiveness.  Through the words of absolution said by the priest but given to us by Christ,. we can go in peace.

For some Catholics (including myself at different times), the Sacrament of Reconciliation can create an anxiety, a problem or a fear. As a result, receiving God's healing grace is postponed or rejected.  During this week, why not reflect on your attitude towards this sacrament, ponder on what hinders you from receiving God's forgiveness and consider how you might change them.

May we be able to speak from our hearts 'Lord forgive the wrong I have done' 
knowing that God first loved us and sent His Son to take away our sins.







No comments:

Post a Comment