Monday, December 21, 2009

SIA week 4 of Advent

SPIRITUALITY IN ACTION ADVENT SERIES.

SIA- Coming to me at Mass and on Catholic Television.

the Advent Wreath

Advent Wreath





Yesterday, at Mass, after listening to the Opening Prayer (Collect) said by the Priest, my mind recalled the reflection questions that had emerged whilst writing my post on the Opening Prayer. (Check out Week 4 Opening Prayer Post). As I was at Mass, I tried to refocus, deciding to reflect later in the day.

However, whilst reciting the Nicene Creed, the words ' for us men and our salvation' jumped out at me and echoed in my mind to such an extent that the rest of the creed washed over me as I heard the congregation reciting it. I was stopped in my tracks.

As I thought of this experience later in the day, I felt that this is indeed the answer to why the Opening Prayer on the Fourth Sunday of Advent refers to the suffering, death and resurrection of Christ.

I realised that the Holy Spirit was inspiring me to remember that as we come to celebrate the birth of Christ, with all the beautiful sounds of the carols at Mass, the sight of the crib and our own Christmas celebrations, it is also timely to remember why Christ came:

' for us men and for our salvation'.

Naturally, the term 'men' is inclusive as it refers to species not gender. 

Both the Compendium of the Catholic Church and the Catechism of the Catholic Church are wonderful resources, and explore the Nicene Creed in depth.
I will be exploring these two great resources with you in my faith nurturing series in 2010.

 As I was watching a programme on Eternal Word Television Network (EWTN) last night, I heard the following comment:

' Jesus was the first Christmas present'.


You might like to check out their website here.
My SIA today is to reflect on these two phrases in their immensity mentioned above, so that I will be ready to give my gifts with these thoughts in my heart.

I hope that by sharing these two experiences with you, it may provide food for thought as you make your final spiritual and practical preparations for Christmas.


No comments:

Post a Comment