Thursday, December 3, 2009

Spirituality In Action (SIA) NO 2


Spirituality In Action (SIA) NO 2

the Advent Wreath

Advent Wreath



Monday 30th November

Had a really early start to the day trying to catch up on important paperwork. I can become overwhelmed when I have to tackle these tasks. Decided to put my SIA of singing the advent hymn mentioned in a previous post to the test-
  • I sung the hymn before I started the task- this gave me a positive outlook and confidence that I would be able to complete the task,
  • I sung the refrain again a couple of times when I could feel the sense of overwhelm coming over me. The panic feeling eased.
  • I sung the hymn when I had completed the task for today as best I could. I wanted to express my gratitude.
Towards the end of the day, I was able to make 'O be still and know the Lord’ tangible and attended exposition and benediction (only a half hour). I felt happy to be able to wait before the Lord as part of my advent journey.

Another highlight of the day was attempting to increase my strength for doing good when I did not become frustrated and angry in a difficult situation- I wanted to scream with frustration, but caught myself in time to challenge myself into adopting an SIA. Reminding myself of the words of the Opening Prayer was the key to changing my behaviour.

As always, it was not a perfect day- there is still plenty of personal work to be done but having a desire to change is a start and making an effort in small ways gave me a sense of progress and encouragement for the journey.
How is YOUR SIA going during this first week?

Tuesday 1 December:


Had a ghastly day- all the plans of the day had to be rethought as the perfect ones were out the window and never had a chance to develop. I am sure we have had those days. I have to say my SIA did not go well today. I did well just to get to the end of the day and was grateful that God had helped me through a tough day. So, at the end of the day, even though I was not in the mood, I sang through the advent hymn talked about in a previous post, especially the refrain:
People be not sad of heart. God will come and save us.
Be forever glad of heart, God will live among us.

The SIA challenge for the day for me then was to remain glad of heart despite the adversity. Not easy, but my efforts I suppose were not all doom. I am grateful for whatever small progress was achieved

Wed 2 December


Today is my day off- I treasure it and always feel optimistic. I had a great day until I arrived home when an emergency developed. Sitting waiting for treatment in the Emergency Dept, sitting waiting for results and waiting for admission, which occurred after midnight, sitting sleeping in a chair all night to stay with the patient, and finally waiting for discharge. 17 hours of waiting- an advent experience.

The waiting, gave me time to observe and to be still from my own personal concerns. I was on the receiving end of other people's SIA- the nurse who provided some sandwiches and tea around 10pm b/c she realised I had no tea, the nurses and doctors in the emergency dept and ward caring for the extensive medical and personal needs of others , the security guard who assisted me when I could not find my parking ticket, and that delightful lady who made me a cappuccino this morning - it was a real blessing to watch and experience. Through today's experience, God does indeed live among us through compassion and healing of others.

I hope your SIA is going well- keep you posted as the rest of the week unfolds.


No comments:

Post a Comment