Sunday, December 6, 2009

Week 2 Advent Opening prayer Series

WEEK 2 ADVENT OPENING PRAYER.


The Mass

The Mass: Opening Prayer Series Icon

OPENING PRAYER

The opening prayer of the Mass for the second week of Advent reads as follows:

Let us pray,
(that nothing may hinder us from receiving Christ with joy)

          God of power and mercy,
          open our hearts in welcome
            Remove the things that hinder us from receiving Christ with joy,
             so that we may share his wisdom and become one with Him 
                          where He lives and reigns with You and Holy Spirit, 
                          one God, for ever and ever.

REFLECTION QUESTIONS

In making this prayer tangible for my life during this week, the following reflection questions emerged:

  1. What is hindering me from receiving Christ with joy?
  2. How can I experience God as a God of power and mercy in my life?
  3. In what areas is my heart closed to welcome Christ in my life?
  4. Name the things that need to be removed that are hindering me from receiving Christ with joy?
  5. Am I truly ready to share in His wisdom and become one with Him? 
 This is week 2 of Advent and the desire to change means there needs to be a co-operative action on my part with God.  Having a good look at myself- my relationship with God, my relationship with others and my relationship with myself can be scary, but at the same time liberating.  

In the Catholic Church, the beautiful Sacrament of Penance/ Reconciliation can be participated in at any time. Regular use of the Sacrament helps me grow in grace. However, in the season of Advent, it is wonderful to receive this Sacrament as we prepare for His coming.  
 If you need to feel inspired about this Sacrament, then why not have a good look at this book. I know I benefited from reading it and using its accompanying workbook in preparing for receiving this wonderful Sacrament.


What will YOUR Spirituality in Action (SIA) be this week?

I hope that we pray for each other-
let nothing hinder us from receiving Christ with joy.  


No comments:

Post a Comment