Friday, December 11, 2009

SIA no 2 Week 2 of Advent


SPIRITUALITY IN ACTION ADVENT SERIES.

'MAKE A HIGHWAY FOR MY GOD'.

The Advent Wreath
The Advent Wreath: 


SACRAMENT OF THE ANOINTING

Yesterday I was fortunate enough to go the Anointing Mass in my parish. Keeping in my mind the Advent theme of the Sunday's Opening Prayer of Second Week of Advent, I was keen to put before the Lord the hindrances I have been experiencing in building this highway for Him in the desert places of my life.

I was in need of some physical healing for sure- Compared to other parishioners present at this Mass, my pains pale into insignificance, but I was conscious that  my various aches seem to become more evident and consistent as the years roll by. Sometimes, I have to admit, I pine to be free of pain, as in a bygone era.  In that era, I did not realise how much I took good health for granted. Even a half day free of pain now would be welcome relief. 

The challenge is to bear the pain patiently and look with hope for eternal life without pain. If you are fortunate not to suffer pain, then may I encourage you to offer a prayer of gratitude to thank God. Perhaps you might like to join me in offering a prayer too for all those who suffer pain either great or small. 

However, I was keen not to waste this opportunity at the anointing Mass to pray for what I really needed- some spiritual healing in my life, including inviting God to enter into the desert places, so that this highway for Him could be possible. I named my hindrances, asking God for healing in these areas of my life.  I felt that this anointing Mass was different for me this year- perhaps I am becoming more aware of my need for God and my desire to say 'come Lord Jesus' seems more authentic.

Experiencing Christ as the healing physician in the Sacrament of the Anointing of the Sick is always such a blessing. He knows my symptoms, but more importantly, He knows the root causes of them and can provide the appropriate treatment. Christ is definitely in our midst in this Sacrament.

I hope that you can experience Christ as the healer and physician in your life during this Advent season to fill you with hope, love, joy and peace.


No comments:

Post a Comment