Thursday, December 10, 2009

Week 2 Spirituality in Action (SIA no 1)

SIA WEEK 2 OF ADVENT.




SIA CHALLENGE WEEK 2 

Advent Wreath

Advent Wreath: SIA Series Icon.



How is your S.I.A. during week 2 of Advent? Our challenge from the Opening Prayer is to 'let nothing hinder us from receiving Christ with joy'.
The Scripture is quite clear what we are called to do to achieve this goal.

'A voice cries: "In the wilderness prepare the way of the Lord,
 make straight in the desert a highway for our God. 

Hills in Jordan  Valley Holy Land

Hills of Jordan Valley Holy Land

 Every valley shall be lifted up, 
and every mountain and hill be made low;  
the uneven ground shall become level, 
and the rough places a plain'. (Is 40:3-4)

My SI.A. this week is to try to work on making straight in the desert a highway for my God.
Think of the imagery- this is not about filling in a few potholes- this is about creating in the desert- the dry arid parts of my life a highway, and by definition, a highway is well used main road, smooth and well signposted- we are asked to make this highway for our God. God wants to travel on this highway, and He wants me to attend to the desert places in my life and make a highway for Him there. 

As part of my S.I.A., I am observing roadworks being done-Some characteristics include:
·         heavy equipment required:
·         people required to assist
·         an inconvenience as we are usually directed to a detour route
·         Slow and arduous work to level out difficult areas.

So how do I connect this spiritually? Let me review the above characteristics. 

·   Heavy equipment required: this is the honest look at my desert places-the examination of conscience- the review of myself before the Lord. 
·     People required to assist: It is good to receive constructive feedback from others as part of the building process. I consider the priest who gives good spiritual direction in the Sacrament of Reconciliation a vital project manager in my highway building project for my God.
·       Inconvenience: having a good honest look at myself is uncomfortable and it is easy to take a detour to a well-worn route- think of the stop sign usually seen around road works or even 'this route is closed'. I need to experience the inconvenience and stop and close the usual desert route that I usually avoid, if I have a chance of opening it up for my God.
·  slow arduous work: thankfully, God does not expect a perfect highway immediately-working on my desert places takes time and consistent effort. Making a start in Advent on making straight in the desert a highway for my God is vital but it needs my commitment to continue it during the year.

Whilst building my highway for my God, I am also re-reading the opening prayer to keep me focused and reviewing my reflection questions. The reflections found here are also a great support.

Advent is a wonderful season to be challenged - we are not filling in potholes but building a highway for our God. How is your highway progressing?


No comments:

Post a Comment