Monday, December 14, 2009

Bible Reading Methods Part 3

BIBLE READING METHODS: PART 3.'

Bible Reading

Bible Reading: Bible Reading Methods Icon.





Welcome to the third post in this 4-part series on Bible Reading Methods.  If you missed my previous two posts in this series, check them out in the Scripture Series.

Some time ago, I was given a Scripture Diary which contained a scripture quote for each day as well as the readings of the day. I found it to be helpful to make notes there for my own spiritual journal. The diary also had the following method to reading the bible which I wish to share with you. 


HOW TO STUDY THE BIBLE


Although there are many ways to study the Scriptures, my Scripture diary suggested:
1. Choose a partner or partners. You may choose to correspond with this partner, as distance is no handicap to this method of Scripture study. 
2. Choose a book of the bible to study. 
3. Read the first chapter of the book once a day for one week by yourself, whilst your partner does the same. Use the same translation of the bible and do not work together. 
4. The following week read 2nd chapter each day, 3rd week, 3rd chapter and so on. 
5. After 1st week of reading the chapter daily answer the seven questions (below) in a notebook, keeping the answer brief and to the point. 
6. On the 7th day, meet your partner/s or mail your answers to your partner/s and compare results. 
7. Answers will differ, as the Holy Spirit will reveal things to both of you. Do not change your conclusions, but add your partner’s ideas to the back of your study sheet or journal.

The seven suggested questions to be kept in mind as the chapter is read are as follows:

1. What is the theme of the chapter? 

2. What is the key verse of the chapter? 

3. Which verse would you choose to memorize? 

4. What things do you learn about God the Father? 

5. What things do you learn about Jesus Christ? 

6. What things do you learn about the Holy Spirit? 

7. What things can you apply to your daily life from the chapter? 

(a) Things to do. 

(b) Things to avoid. 


  ADVANTAGES OF HAVING A BIBLE METHOD.

 In considering this Bible Method and adopting it, I discovered that the advantages of this type of Scripture studies included:

1. I read the Bible each day, and each chapter is read seven times giving me a chance to become familiar with it through repetition. 

2. It became my personal programme enabling the Holy Spirit to be the teacher, as well as being able to be shared with my partner. 

3 I needed to be disciplined as my Scripture partner depended on my input. I found being accountable helpful in maintaining the necessary discipline.

4. It helped me to develop my personal commentary on the book studied.
5. I found, over time, that the nature of the questions are designed to better acquaint me with the Lord, and the emphasis on personal application had a consistent effect on my spiritual growth. 

6. This is a more leisurely method than reading the bible in a day.

 There are a number of types of Scripture diaries available, some of which are shown
 here.

Have you decided on your new liturgical year's resolution?  During this new liturgical year, why not allow God to speak to you in His Word, as you read His love letter to you-the Bible. 




No comments:

Post a Comment