Sunday, January 9, 2011

Opening Prayer Series: Solemnity of the Baptism of Our Lord.


OPENING PRAYER SERIES

THE MASS: OPENING PRAYER SERIES ICON.


Solemnity of the Baptism of Our Lord.

OPENING PRAYER


The alternative Opening Prayer for the Solemnity of the Baptism of Our Lord reads as follows:
Let us pray
(that we will be faithful to our baptism)
Father,
Your only Son revealed Himself to us by becoming man.
May we who shares His humanity 
come to shares His divinity
for He lives and reigns with You and the Holy Spirit 
one God, for ever and ever.

REFLECTION QUESTIONS

In making this prayer tangible, the following reflection questions emerged:
1.            What commitment will I make this week to be faithful to my baptism?
2.            How can I celebrate my baptism?
3.            How does Jesus reveal Himself to me?
4.            How can I increase the divinity of Jesus in me this week?
5.            How does Jesus share my humanity?
6.            What does my baptism mean to me?

GOSPEL REFLECTION


Should you wish to reflect on the Opening Prayer see my post for Solemnity of the Baptism of Our Lord in 2010.
Today's Gospel from Matthew describes the baptism of Our Lord in the Jordan at the beginning of the public life of Jesus. It is the investiture of Jesus as Messiah, since He is present as the Servant of God, the suffering servant as foreshadowed in Deuter-Isaiah. His baptism in the Jordan symbolizes His vocation as Servant until death. On the beloved Son descends the Holy Spirit.  In this way Jesus is anointed for His mission of prophet, priest and king.  By the descent of the Spirit and the words of the Father, Jesus' Baptism is given a new dimension and comes a sign of Christian baptism.  The baptism of Jesus is one of His most striking manifestations.  The liturgies of the East and West make use of these accounts for the feast of the feast of the Epiphany. 

As we hear the gospel being read at Mass, let our souls be renewed since our Saviour comes in baptism to restore our corrupt nature by clothing us with the robe of incorruptibility. Let the words of the Father to Jesus His Son, resound in our minds and hearts ’ This is my Son the beloved, my favour rests on Him'


No comments:

Post a Comment