Friday, January 28, 2011

The Commandment to Love Series: Others opinions and my own


The Commandment to Love Series:

 

Others opinions and my own.

 

My commandment to love series over the next 10-12 weeks focuses on how I can love myself in a practical manner this week and keep the commandment to love.

In this series I will focus on one idea that we can use in whatever it suits to accomplish a more rounded version of ' as yourself'.  I hope you will journey with me in this series.

So, my third intention for feeling good about myself this week is as follows:

 This week I will not hold others opinions above my own.


How will make my intention tangible?  There are endless ways just as we are all unique.
However, as a starting point, I will first 
·                     spend some time in prayerful reflection on why and when my opinions in my mind do not count in my life. 
·                     Re-read my 'positive list about me' each day in my prayer time and add at least one extra positive each day.
·                     Affirm each day that I am a child of God and remind myself that God does not have favourites. In His eyes, I am equal to every other person in the world.
·                     write down any opinions that others hold and explore the similarities and differences that their point of view express as well as my own.

Why do I want to do this?  I want to make progress with this third intention because: I want to keep the commandment to love more fully. Practicing this commandment means that I love myself as God loves me. Accepting that my opinion is valuable and is equal in God's sight to others  gives me freedom to love myself for who I really am- a child of God.   

Holding my opinion in a respectful way  is not putting myself on a pedestal.  It is accepting my integral part of me.  Holding other peoples opinions above my own is disrespectful of myself . I can live and let live since we are all equal in God's sight. 

Let us keep the commandment to love 'as yourself'  so that we can hear Jesus speak the truth in our hearts. We can always rely on Jesus to tell us the truth and we no longer have to believe the lies that we tell ourselves.


No comments:

Post a Comment