Sunday, January 30, 2011

Opening Prayer Series: 4th Sunday of Advent year A

Opening Prayer Series:

OPENING PRAYER

The Opening Prayer for the Fourth Sunday of year A reads as follows:

Let us pray
(for a greater love of God and our fellow men)
Lord our God,
help us to love You with all our hearts
and to love all men as You love them. 

REFLECTION QUESTIONS

In making this prayer tangible for this week, the following reflection questions emerged.

1.            Do I know what God's love is? Have I experienced it in my life?
2.            Why do I need a greater love of God?
3.            Why do I need a greater love of my fellow men?
4.            How will I obtain a greater love of God and my fellow men this week?
5.            What obstacles/hindrances do I put in the way to loving God with all my heart?
6.            What obstacles/hindrances do I put in the way of loving all men as You love them?

GOSPEL REFLECTION


Chapter 5 of Matthew's Gospel is most well-known but is a challenge to put into practice in our lives. With God, we do not need to be totally successful or perfect, since we are a creation in progress, but we do need to try. That is what God asks of us. To do this, we may wish to personalize this text so that it may be concrete for our lives this coming week.  For example: who are in the poor in spirit, who are the gentle, who are those who mourn etc  Let us be practical with our answers- identify these groups of people in our lives- is it our neighbour next door or 2 doors up, a parishioner down the road or a work colleague that other colleagues ridicule or simply ignore?

Then our beatitude may read:
happy my work colleague Mr Smith who is merciful when I do not meet a deadline, 
I will show him mercy when he makes mistakes in his work this week.

Above all the beatitude is made up of 2 words- be attitude. It is the attitude that we need to be that God asks of us in the sermon on the mount.  Let us listen and read this sermon on the mount again during the week and try our best to practice it in our lives.






No comments:

Post a Comment