Sunday, September 5, 2010

Opening Prayer: 23rd Sunday of Year C

OPENING PRAYER SERIES

THE MASS: OPENING PRAYER SERIES.


OPENING PRAYER


The Opening Prayer of 23rd Sunday of Year reads as follows:

Let us pray,
(that we may realise the freed God has given us
in making us His sons and daughters) 
God our Father,
You redeem us and make us Your children in Christ.
Look upon us,
give us true freedom,
and bring us to the inheritance You promise.

REFLECTION QUESTIONS

In making this prayer tangible for my life during this week, the following reflection questions emerged: 

  1. What is the freedom God has given me?
  2. What does it mean to me to a son/daughter of God?
  3. How does being a son/daughter of God affect my daily life up to the present moment?
  4. How might I reclaim my 'sonship' in Christ during this coming week?
  5. What are the areas in my life that lack God's true freedom?
  6. What steps will I take to develop these areas that are in need this coming week?
  7. If God called me home to my inheritance today, would I be ready-why/why not? 

GOSPEL REFLECTION

Today's Gospel is a challenging one, since it speaks of one the demands of true discipleship- renouncing one's possessions. It also challenges us to place our priorities in the right order- God must be first priority in our lives. If you wish to understand more about discipleship, you may wish to visit my 'practical theology-fruitful discipleship series.

This gospel is a timely reminder for those of us, like myself who 'keep things for a rainy day' or 'in case it might be needed'.  God does not expect us to be wasteful with our resources, but to use them wisely.  However, for someone like myself who finds it difficult to say goodbye to belongings, even though the possession has passed its use, this gospel is indeed a mighty challenge.


.

No comments:

Post a Comment