Wednesday, January 20, 2010

The Sower and the Seed


THE MASTER GARDENER


spring garden

PERSONAL REFLECTION: MY GARDEN


Over the years, I have enjoyed our garden and other gardens in the district, praising God for nature and its beauty.  However, due to my life and circumstances, I have been a spectator not a participant in the gardening world.  Gardening, I thought, is not my skill. Dad was the gardener in my family. He definitely had 'green fingers', whilst mum was talented and had a knack for it also.

Dad passed away half way through last year, and is often the case, someone in a family has to take over the responsibilities. Mum is frail now, able to enjoy the garden and do very small tasks.  The weeds grew and grew, until finally I was able to get professional help to sort out the wilderness. Seeing the garden looking respectable again lifted me up.

Gradually as I am working through my grief, I decided to tackle the garden in memory of dad, planning a memorial bed, to keep the weeds under control and to help mum and myself enjoy the garden again.

One small step I took recently has turned out to be a garden gem.  I found some packets of seeds in the shed which were passed their use by date.  I decided to sow them anyway- nothing would be lost and if they grew it would be a bonus.  I sowed the seeds, gently watered them with recycled water each day. The packet indicated that the germination period was 10-14 days.

However, on Dad's 7-month anniversary of his death, I went out to water, (seven days into the germination period), only to discover to my delight some tiny greenery just peeping through. You might be able to imagine my joy. I had to smile to myself, thinking that dad was looking after the garden, and sending me some much-needed encouragement.

GOD AS THE MASTER GARDENER

I share this thumbnail sketch of a moment in my life for these reasons:
  • God is the Master Gardener- being grateful for its beauty is important, but being even more grateful to the Creator is essential. 
  • Never limit your ability and skill, especially if you have not tried the activity.
  • Help does come from our loved ones who have passed away in all sorts of ways, whether they are in Purgatory or Heaven. 
  • Perseverance and encouragement water the soil in our lives.
Raising this small event to the spiritual realm, I realized how important it is to sow the seed of my Catholic faith and nurture it with the water of spirituality in my life. Reading the parable of the Sower and the Seed took on a different nuance for me.

May your seeds of goodness and faith fall on good soil.


No comments:

Post a Comment