Friday, February 5, 2010

Lent is around the corner

Lent is around the corner THINKING ABOUT LENT. 


Lent.. already. You might be thinking. can’t think about that just yet... everyone has their own need.

Lent over the years for me have been varied- some have wonderful Lents, some real shockers- they did not happen at all...and of course a mixed Lent with some progress. Inevitably, I start well with great ideas and by the time we have completed Ash Wed, Thurs, Fri and Sat of that first incomplete week, I feel that Lent has been a long time. I always seem to fall into a slump in week 3 and 4 and then I get moving again for week 5 and Holy week.

So, what makes my Lent effective or a disaster?  I have discovered it is all in the planning and the preparation.
This year my focus image is one of a journey- a Lenten vacation with the Lord. I am reflecting on
1.   What do I need to do for this journey?
2.   Where is my destination?

THE JOURNEY

My journey plans so far include:

1.   1. Decide on the destination: what do I want to achieve throughout this Lent? What grace does God want to give me during this Lent? Brainstorm and make notes of what the Holy Spirit may be suggesting. Giving myself time before Lent begins allows for some fine tuning.
2.    Prepare with enthusiasm:  This is my spiritual journey, my Lenten vacation- a holiday with the Lord. Enthusiasm is the key to unlocking my venue- I want the Lord to come and knock at my door.
3.    Pack the bags- what do I need for the journey/holiday? Pack the spiritual bags- travel light for the journey. What are the ways I might fulfil prayer-fasting and alms giving during Lent?
4.     Prepare the itinerary: Having a plan provides a focus as a starting point even if I change it during the journey and visit other places on different days. Leave room for the Holy Spirit to be your guide.
5.    Review your plan: Does your Lenten plan match your personality? My disastrous Lents have been ones which did not have enough variety, since my personality thrives when there is a good balance between variety and focus. 
 

6.    Experiment: Having a dry run on one or two of my Lenten ideas before Lent begins provides me with more information about myself and how  my Lenten ideas may be effective- how might I resist that temptation- how am I going to deal with that situation? 

Whether planning for Lent is your style or not, I hope that your Lenten journey is enriching.

No comments:

Post a Comment