Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Ash Wednesday- Sackcloth and Ashes

ASH WEDNESDAY- SACKCLOTH AND ASHES.

Ashes on Ash Wednesday.



Sackcloth was originally a coarse hessian style of cloth used to make sacks or a coarse cloth resembling sacking.

Sackcloth is mentioned in scripture at least 60 times in both Old and New Testament   It was a physical and visual reminder to all the community of an interior disposition of mourning. Repentance and remorse.

A few Lents ago, I decided to buy my own 'sackcloth' -something simple to wear in Lent.  The simple purple twinset purchased from an opportunity, shop which I wore mainly at home, was a physical reminder of my Lenten observances. I felt I was wearing my Lenten armoury to fight the temptation of the fridge and pantry, and wearing it was physical reminder of the Lenten season.

ASHES: Do you know what Ash Wednesday is?

In a Religious Education class some years ago, the teacher asked the question 'what is Ash Wednesday about?'  The replies from these primary children included  (a) Ash Wednesday fires of 1983 in South Australia and (b) Test Cricket series between England and Australia.
This teacher certainly had her work ahead of her that Lent!!!

The ashes are made from the blessed palms used in the Palm Sunday celebration of the previous year. The ashes are christened with Holy Water and are scented by exposure to incense.  It is not only the Church being 'green and environmentally friendly', but it links us to our past Lenten Season and reminds us of the ongoing pilgrim journey of repentance. 

On Ash Wednesday, the priest or extraordinary minsters of the Eucharist distribute the ashes on our foreheads saying ' Remember that you are dust, and to dust you shall return' or Repent and believe the Good News'. At Baptism we are sealed on our foreheads. The ashes sign of the cross connects us again to our Baptism, and the words remind us to that we are a pilgrim people- our homeland is with God in Heaven. 

This simple ceremony to mark the beginning of Lent occurs in every Catholic Church throughout the world including St Peter's Basilica where the Pope both distributes and receives the ashes. As we receive the ashes, we are unity with the whole Catholic Church throughout the world. Everyone is following this same Lenten journey of repentance 'from the greatest to the least' as scripture tells us.

As part of my liturgical role, I used to prepare the ashes. Getting the right consistency to ensure the ashes were damp but not lumpy was vital. for the creation of a clear cross on the forehead. Depending on the weather, I used to prepare them the day before, by giving them a good soaking of water and allowing them to dry. A further light soaking on Ash Wednesday a hour before Mass was usually necessary. 

Preparing the ashes was something that I found spiritually fulfilling, as I was able to reflect on my Lenten journey the previous year, review my goals for the forthcoming one, and pray for my fellow parishioners, who would, like myself, receive the ashes.

May your Ash Wednesday be blessed.





No comments:

Post a Comment