Monday, September 16, 2019

Jesus is mocked by the solders Mk 15 16-20


GOSPEL OF MARK SERIES.
The Bible: Gospel of Mark icon.

During 2019, each week, I will write a weekly post about the Gospel of Mark, as I review and explore each of the 16 chapters and how it may be applied in our daily lives. If you are following this series for the first time, you will find this series under Scripture- New Testament- Gospel of Mark. 

Click here to read the first post in the series. I have written this series in different years (2012, 2015, 2018) with some irregularity, but am determined to complete this series this year since I am more than half way through this Gospel.
My goal is to understand and pray the Gospel of Mark. I hope you will join me on this journey as we travel through the liturgical season.  In today's post we explore chapter 15:16-20 1which is called Jesus is mocked by the solders.

JESUS IS MOCKED BY THE SOLDERS
The soldiers have heard Jesus called by Pilate the King of the Jews. Three times he has used this title for Jesus. Now the solders, possibly hardened mercenaries from Syria or from some other country unfriendly to the Jews, decide to have their cruel fun with this so- called King of the Jews. It may be their of giving insult not only to Jesus but to the whole Jeish race whom they probably despise.
When the solders take Jesus back to their military barracks, they stage a save entertainment for themselves by a mock crowning and enthronement Mark gives stark detail of the indignities they inflict on Jesus.

The vivid and detailed description of Mark may even suggest the reports of eye witnesses and an historical basis for this horrible story of barbaric ridicule and mockery.  Jesus, is already weakened and humiliated by the terrible scouring, even before the solders begin.

The solders call all their company together to share in the fun.  They dress Jesus in a faded purple cloak, probably an old military cloak.  The twist some thorns into a rough crown for Him.  A king must have a crown on His head.

They perhaps seat Jesus somewhere and begin to salute Him in mock respect.  They call Him king of the Jesus.  Perhaps it is a reed or stick which they have already put into His hands that use to strike Him on the head.  Some spit upon Him, They kneel before Him in mock respect, each one probably trying  to outdo the other in cruelty and ridicule.  When they have satisfied themselves and finish, they strip the purpose cloak from Him and dress Jesus in His own clothes again.  Jesus will not be led na naked through the streets to the place of execution, as it seems those condemned to crucifixion by the Romans commonly were.

REFLECTION QUESTIONS.
.
In our journal and/or our discussion group we may wish to reflect on this passage as follows:

  • Name the key points that you have learnt about the person of Jesus in this passage of scripture?
  • Imagine that you are these solders.  What do you see and hear and feel? What can I learn from this?
  • Are there any present-day situations which have all the hallmarks of a similar execution (e.g. the assault on the beliefs of the Church and its constant persecution by the media or when Judges do not speak up for the right outcome out of fear of the crowd?
  •  Imagine being the one of the soldiers who mocked Him. If you had the opportunity
    What questions do I want to bring to Jesus?

  • What questions do I want to bring to Jesus?
  • Imagine being one of the people watching this mocking of Jesus. What would they want to say to Him when they realise who it was, they mocked.?  In what ways do we mock Jesus in our lives?
  •  What is reading the Gospel passage with the eyes and ears of disciple mean to me?
  • How does Jesus make clear His teaching to me in this passage?

  •  Consider a situation in your life today where the teaching of Jesus needs to be applied. 
  • Consider how much my faith means to me and what does my faithfulness/unfaithfulness to my church/parish mean to me and others?
  • What are the areas in my life I need to bring to Jesus in the light of this teaching?

  • Am I willing to look into myself with honesty and ask how much do I grasp what it means to be a true disciple of Jesus in the light of this teaching? 

Let us remember at what cost and the great price with which we received redemption.

No comments:

Post a Comment