Sunday, February 10, 2019

Collect of 5th Sunday Yr C and Gospel Reflection

COLLECT AND GOSPEL REFLECTION SERIES

THE MASS: COLLECT AND GOSPEL REFLECTION SERIES.


COLLECT 

The Collect of the 5th Sunday of the Year reads as follows:

Keep your family safe, O Lord, with unfailing care,
That, relying solely on the hope of heavenly grace,
They may be defended by your protection.
Through our Lord Jesus, Christ, your Son,
who lives and reigns with You in the unity of the Holy Spirit,
one God for ever and ever.


REFLECTION QUESTIONS


In making this prayer tangible for during the week, the following reflection questions emerged:

  1.What does safety mean to me?2.    Why is important for God to keep my family safe with unfailing care?
3.    Why is important to rely on the hope of heavenly grace.
4.    How does heavenly grace help me in being defended by God’s protection?
5.    Apart from my own family, what other families could I ask God for this same hope of heavenly grace? (colleagues at work, parish, our city. Suburbs, world).

GOSPEL REFLECTION


Today’s Gospel brings back to me a memory of my pilgrimage to the Holy Land in 2000. I remember those rickety boats named after the Apostles which took us across the lake.  There was a calmness about the lake and yet, as the boat guide commented that the lake could become rough at a moment’s notice.   The various Gospel stories including today’s Gospel were easily able to be recalled and visualised in my mind.

A friend of mind took some of his parishioners on a pilgrimage last year to the Holy land. He took many photos and shared them on Facebook.  I was grateful because it was as though I was doing the pilgrimage with them.

It is interesting to note in today’s Gospel that Peter says to Jesus: “Master, we have laboured all the night, and have taken nothing, but if you say so, I will let down the net. (Lk 5:5).

Remember Peter was a fisherman- skilled in his trade, would have known how and when to catch fish. Yet he did have enough humility to trust Jesus when he asked even though it must have been a strange request to cast the nets again. Some commentators remark that it was because he thought Jesus wrong with his request and wanted to show Him up that he commented ‘’ leave me for I am a sinful man’’.
Whatever of Peter’s disposition of mind, the question remains- what about us? What happens when Jesus asks us to do something that we have tried before or seems obvious to do. Do we, like Peter do it because Jesus asks or do we argue the point and not do it at all.

The other interesting point is that the Gospel refers to Peter as Simon early on in this passage and then later as Simon Peter. It is as though we are meant to understand the change in status as Peter becomes a fisher of people rather than just fish.  He takes the career path known to Peter and tweaks it, rather than expecting Peter to change career paths. Yet, in one sense he does actually change career paths- his focus is different. The same skills are employed in a different way to get a different result.

I take courage from this myself as I embark on a revitalisation of my career.  I am teaching music- and yet now through my courses and website teaching online, ( talking music.online), I am not only using my skills of music to teach but including my gifts of counselling and spirituality as well.  As one of my friends said ‘’ this is clever evangelisation’’.  In many ways, I am using the skills I know but they are being transformed to create a different outcome. Feel free to check out my site and follow me too on social media as well.

If you wish to read another interpretation on this Gospel, here is the link here.

So what about you?  How does this Gospel speak to you for your life?  
How does it challenge you? 
Will you be like Peter and do what Jesus asks?

How will we “Put out into the deep water and lower your nets for a catch!"  .

PERSONAL NOTE



PS I started this blog on 27 November 2009. I have written at times regularly and at other times irregularly.  However,  today's post is post no 1000!!!  Praise God and thank  you for all my readers who have stayed on this journey with me here at New Horizons to enhance our Catholic faith together.

Hopefully there will be plenty more posts to come in the future.




No comments:

Post a Comment