Monday, July 16, 2012

Compendium Series: Why is Jesus called Christ?

82. Why is Jesus called ‘’Christ”? (CCC 436-440,538)
Compendium states:

Christ in Greek, “‘ Messiah” in Hebrew, means “ the anointed One”. Jesus is the Christ because He is consecrated by God and anointed by the Holy Spirit for His redeeming mission.  He is the Messiah awaited by Israel, sent into the world by the Father.  Jesus accepted the title of Messiah, but He made the meaning of the term clear “come down from Heaven” ( Jn 3:13), crucified and then risen, he is the Suffering Servant ‘’ who gives His life as a ransom for the many” (Mt 20:28).  From the name Christ comes our name of Christian.

What does this mean for me?

  1. Each time I hear or use the word Christ, I can thank Him for being the anointed One and by His redeeming mission I may be saved.
  2. I can appreciate more fully the title Christian and realize its full implication for me.
  3. Being a Christian means I bear the name Christ and therefore share the redeeming mission. How many people will I bring to Christ through the way I live my life?

Questions to consider.

1.If Christ means anointed One, and I bear the name Christian, what are the ramifications of being called a Christian?

2. How can I educate a person who misuses the name ‘’Christ”’ in the light of its meaning?

3. How do I appreciate the gift of Christ’s redeeming mission to me- his coming down from Heaven, his death and resurrection and how does HIs redeeming mission impact on my life?

No comments:

Post a Comment