Friday, July 6, 2012

Compendium Series: What is the meaning of the name of Jesus?

81. What is the meaning of the name of Jesus? (CCC 430-435)
Compendium states:
Given by the angel at the the time of the Annunciation, the name ''Jesus"  means " God saves".  The name expresses His identity and His mission 'because He will save His people from their sins'. (Mt:1:21) Peter proclaimed that " there is no other name under heaven given to men by which we can be saved". (Acts 4:12). 
What does this mean for me?

  1. When in times of doubt, anxiety, fear or uncertainty, I can gently repeat the name of Jesus in prayer, knowing that His name means God saves.
  2. I may examine my attitude towards  the name of Jesus being used in an disrespectful manner and pray for those who misuse the name of Jesus.
  3. I may examine and reflect upon how I have been saved by Jesus.
Questions to consider.

  1. Why is the name of Jesus so powerful?
  2. Why is the name of Jesus so powerful in my life?
  3. What does it mean to me to be saved by Jesus?
  4. Why do people misuse the name of Jesus?
  5. What action/s can I take to ensure that the name of Jesus is not misused in my company ?
  6. What words of correction can I implement to evangelize those who misuse the name of Jesus?


May the meaning of the name of Jesus impact upon you and on those you come in contact.

No comments:

Post a Comment