Sunday, March 13, 2011

Grief continues but changes

Grief continues but changes


 

It is now 21 months since Dad died today. When I wrote a post about grief around his first anniversary, I posed the question of what does one say to a bereaved person- is what we say something heard so many times before or do we really think carefully of the words and sentiments we express to the bereaved?

 

Today, although I still miss dad and always will, I feel a sense of satisfaction that I have lasted the distance of these 21 months- they have been a turmoil on so many levels, but I have negotiated them with tears at times, with frustration, with peace and with a sense of joy. Now at this juncture, it is a sense of satisfaction because not only have I had to learn new skills and situations, I have survived.

 

What I wish to express in this post is that grief continues but it does change too overtime. There are still moments that we can share with the deceased- after all they are alive in Heaven and I live in hope that one day, I will see dad again there too.   I share my day with dad every day- the good, the bad and the in between- I know he understands.  The bond of the relationship never dies. The grief softens but is still present, but it does change.

 

So for all those who are recently bereaved, take all the time you personally need to grieve. Grief is ongoing but it does change- so hang in there and continue to have your loved one part of your life and conversation.

 






No comments:

Post a Comment