Friday, February 11, 2011

Commandment to Love Series: The things I have done

Commandment to Love Series: The things I have done

My commandment to love series over the next 10-12 weeks focuses on how I can love myself in a practical manner this week and keep the commandment to love.  

In this series I will focus on one idea that we can use in whatever it suits to accomplish  a more rounded version of ' as yourself'.  I hope you will journey with me in this series.

 

So, my fifth intention for feeling good about myself this week is as follows:

 

 This week I will remember that as an ever loving, joyful soul, I am not the things I have done.

 

 

How will make my intention tangible?  There are endless ways just as we are all unique.

However, as a starting point, I will first 

·          spend some prayerful reflection time with God to consider what I have done
      and how God sees me.

·          Re-read my 'positive list about me' each day in my prayer time and add at least
       one extra positive each day.

·          Affirm each day that I am a child of God and that I am an loving, joyful soul. I
      am not the the things I have done regardless whether they are good or not..

·          write down any opinions that I have both positive and negative about the things
      I have done. Write down at least 3 possible course of action for each positive
      and negative thing I have done.

·          Examine my conscience to review whether there is real or false guilt related to
      the things of I have done list.

·         Seek God's forgiveness in the sacrament of Reconciliation for the things I know that
       were sinful and inappropriate.

·      Thank God for the things I have done that are positive, since it is only possible
     because God has made it so.

 

Why do I want to do this?  I want to make progress with this fifth intention because: I want to keep the commandment to love more fully. Practicing this commandment means that I love myself as God loves me. Accepting that I have done both positive and negative things in my life is vital to acceptance. I need to also rid myself of false guilt where this has occurred and repent through the sacrament of reconciliation of the things, I have done that are not pleasing to God and where true guilt is residing.  

 

Remembering that I am not the things I have done however laudable they may be, nor am I the things I have done however sinful they may be.  God is ready to forgive me. I need also to forgive myself, since forgiving myself is part of loving myself.  I also need to be honest with myself since this truth will set me free. Being aware that humanity is prone to sin, since it is a consequence of original sin, can be freeing. However, I need to be honest about this also, and not use it as an excuse for the things I have done. You may also wish to refer to my other practical theology posts written in 2010 which may assist you in becoming all that God desires for you.

 

Let us keep the commandment to love 'as yourself’ by accepting I am not the things I have done.  Let us take corrective action where that is necessary to gain a more loving and accepting view and healthy respect for myself.


 

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment