Friday, February 25, 2011

The commandment to Love Series: Opportunity to laugh

COMMANDMENT TO LOVE SERIES:

Opportunity to laugh


My commandment to love series over the next 10-12 weeks focuses on how I can love myself in a practical manner this week and keep the commandment to love. In this series I will focus on one idea that we can use in whatever it suits to accomplish a more rounded version of ' as yourself'.  I hope you will journey with me in this series.

 So, my seventh intention for feeling good about myself this week is as follows:

 

This week I will take every opportunity to laugh with myself.

 

How will make my intention tangible?  There are endless ways just as we are all unique.

However, as a starting point, I will first

  • spend some prayerful reflection time with God to consider how God  sees humour and laughter. 
  • Thank God for the times I have been able to see the funny, light-  hearted and frivolous me since it is only possible because God has made it so.
  • I will smile within myself at least 3 times each day and feel the smile of  Jesus greeting me.
  • Re-read my 'positive list about me' each day in my prayer time and add  at least one extra positive each day.
  • Affirm each day that I am able to laugh with myself because laughter is medicinal and good for both body and soul.  it is the loving thing to do  for myself.
  • write down any opinions that I have both positive and negative about laughter and laughing with myself. You will notice that I say 'with myself'   not 'at myself'    
  • Why do I want to do this?  I want to make progress with this seventh intention because: I want to keep the commandment to love more fully. Practicing this commandment means that I love myself as God loves me. Accepting that I need to be able to laugh with myself  shows that I have the desire to love myself more fully, and in loving myself I will in turn appreciate the humour, and lighthearted nature of other people.

 

 Forgive me for one moment for getting on a hobby horse here.  A joke used to be when all concerned saw the funny side and did not hurt anyone in the process.  It seems to me that this definition of good manners in the humour sphere has changed for the worse.  There is a TV programme that is supposed to be funny, and other people seem to think it is hilarious. Usually, I do not find anything funny in it at all. I find it sad that people think it is funny other people having some type of misfortune.

 Now off my hobby horse....

 

I make the distinction of laughing with myself compared to laughing at myself.  Laughing at myself can have its place at times, but it can also be a destructive, negative and unloving way of supporting oneself. In my view, laughing at myself is unhelpful from a emotional and spiritual perspective. since it is a form of derision.  However, laughing with myself is accepting myself as I am and enjoying my company.

 

Let us keep the commandment to love 'as yourself' by taking the opportunity to enjoy our own company and have a smile/laugh with oneself during this coming week.

 

 



No comments:

Post a Comment