Thursday, October 28, 2010

Compendium Series:Scripture-its unity and its role in the life of the church


Compendium Series: 

JESUS THE TEACHER: COMPENDIUM SERIES ICON.

Scripture-its unity and its role in the life of the church 

 Again, this week, we focus on Scripture-the last two questions in this section on this topic. Both are important to understand within themselves, but vital to our understanding and faith nurturing in our spiritual journey.  So what does the Compendium have to say on these vital aspects on Scripture this week?

23. What is the unity that exists between the Old and New Testaments? (CCC126-130,140)


Compendium states:

Scripture is one insofar as the Word of God is one.  God’s plan of salvation is one and the divine inspiration of both Testaments is one.  The Old Testament prepares for the New and the New Testament fulfils the Old, the two shed light on each other.
What does this mean for me?
Since there is a oneness between both Old and New Testaments, I am able to become more aware of it and appreciate it more fully.

Questions to consider:

1.            How does the Old Testament prepare for the New and the New
           Testament fulfil the Old?
2.            Reading both Old and New Testaments, how do the passages shed light
           on each other?
3.            How important is reading the Scripture in my daily. life?

24. What role does Sacred Scripture play in the life of the Church? (CCC 132-133,141-142)


Compendium states:

Sacred Scripture gives support and vigour to the life of the Church. For the children of the Church it is a confirmation of the faith, food for the soul and the fount of the spiritual life.  Sacred Scripture is the soul and theology and of pastoral preaching.  The Psalmist says that it is “a lamp to my feet and light to my path” (Psalm 119-105).  The Church therefore exhorts all to read Sacred scripture frequently because ‘ignorance of the Scripture is ignorance of Christ”. (Saint Jerome.


What does this mean for me?

1.  I commit myself to read the Scripture frequently because I do want to be ignorant of Christ who is my Saviour.
2.     I need to read Scripture so that my soul is fed.

 Questions to consider:

1.            Why does Sacred Scripture give support and vigour to the life of the
           Church?
2.            Is Sacred Scripture a confirmation of the faith, food for the soul and a
            fount of the spiritual life for me? Why/why not?
3.            How is Sacred Scripture a lamp to my feet and a light to my path?
4.            How can I educate myself to understand Sacred Scripture?
5.            Am I willing to choose to read Scripture in greater depth- eg choose a book to study during Advent, Christmastide, Lent, Eastertide and Ordinary seasons?

So, to complete this section on Scripture, why not revise during the week what we have already discovered from previous weeks including this week's post and implement our own spiritual learning into our faith journey.


No comments:

Post a Comment