Thursday, October 7, 2010

Compendium Series. 3 Criteria in reading Sacred Scripture.



COMPENDIUM SERIES.

3 Criteria in reading Sacred Scripture.

Compendium states:
19. How is Sacred Scripture to be read? (CCC 109-119,127)
Sacred Scripture must be read and interpreted with the help of the Holy Spirit and under the guidance of the Magisterium of the Church according to three criteria: 1. It must be read with attention to the content and unity of the whole Scripture. 2. It must be read within the living Tradition of the Church. 3. It must be read with attention to the analogy of faith, that is, the inner harmony which exists among the truths of the faith themselves.


What does this mean for me?
1.            I need to pray to the Holy Spirit before I read the Scripture so that under His guidance, I may understand the passage read.
2.            I need to be aware of the 3 criteria of how Scripture should be read so that, I am not baffled by those who ‘cherry pick’ the Scripture.
3.             
 Questions to consider:
1.  How does the Holy Spirit and the Magisterium help me to read and interpret Sacred Scripture?
2. Does knowing the criteria of how Sacred Scripture is to be read assist me with those who 'cherry pick' the Scripture? 
3. What might these 'cherry pickers' of Sacred Scripture be lacking in light of these 3 criteria?
4. Can I relate any scripture passage and apply the 3 criteria?

 You may also find helpful my Scripture- the need to interpret series and also Bible reading methods in the light of this very important question for us as Catholics.

So next time you read a scripture passage, why not consider the 3 criteria and develop a deeper understanding and appreciation of the criteria for reading Sacred Scripture. It really can be a fascinating journey of spiritual growth with the help of the Holy Spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment