Sunday, April 18, 2010

Opening Prayer Series: Third Sunday of Eastertide.

OPENING PRAYER SERIES.

THE MASS: OPENING PRAYER SERIES.


OPENING PRAYER



The Opening Prayer of the Mass for Third Sunday of Easter reads  as follows:

Let us pray 
(that Christ will give us  a share in the glory of His unending life)
God our Father,
may we look forward with hope to our resurrection,
for You have made us Your sons and daughters,
and restored the joy of our youth.

REFLECTION SERIES.

In making this prayer tangible for my life during this week,the following reflection questions emerged: 

1. How might I reflect upon my death and resurrection this week?
2. If I died today/this week, what would be my achievements and great moments?
3. If I died today/this week, what would be unfinished business in my life?
4. What steps does this above reflection invite me to make this week?
5. What does it mean to me to look forward with hope to my resurrection?
6.. What difference does it make to me being a son or daughter of God?7. What areas of my life would I like Christ to renew during Eastertide? 
8. How might I live in the joy and hope of my resurrection this week?

GOSPEL REFLECTION


On the Third Sunday of Easter, the Gospel highlights Jesus feeding his disciples (and us). Jesus is patient when Peter and his disciples go back to the trade they know-fishing. They caught nothing all night, and yet when Jesus tells them 'to throw the nets to starboard', they could not haul it in because there were so many. When they haul it in, the nets are not broken and yet there is a huge haul of fish.

Jesus is patient with us too when we, after having stepped out in faith, retreat to our own comfort zone. and go back to our tried and tested ( and yet failed) ways.  Jesus invites us to throw out our nets to the deep and haul in our catch. He will be on the shore providing our needs, just as He provided the disciples with a charcoal fire and fish already cooking.

Peter learned that being a disciple means also responsibility and service. Peter loves Jesus and accepts the mission Jesus gave him.  Jesus has an unique mission for each of us.  Do I love Jesus to answer His call and accept the mission He asks of me?

Let us step out in faith to fulfill the mission Jesus gives to us. In our moments of fear and failure we can pray the words of the psalm:
"I will praise the Lord for You have rescued me'.


.



No comments:

Post a Comment