Sunday, April 11, 2010

Opening Prayer Series: Second Sunday of Easter

OPENING PRAYER SERIES

THE MASS: COLLECT SERIES ICON


OPENING PRAYER


The Opening Prayer of the Mass for Second Sunday of Easter reads as follows:

Let us pray
for a deeper awareness of our Christian Baptism)
God of mercy,
You wash away our sins in water,
You give us new birth in the Spirit,
and redeem us in the blood of Christ.
As we celebrate Christ's resurrection
increase our awareness of these blessings
and renew Your gift of life within us.

REFLECTION QUESTIONS


In making this prayer tangible for my life during this week, the following reflection questions emerged: 

1. What steps could I take this week to achieve a deeper awareness of my Christian Baptism?
2. Consider how God shows Himself to be a God of mercy in your life?
3. What does new birth in the Spirit mean for you?
4. What does it mean to you to be redeemed in the blood of Christ?
5. What steps will I take during Eastertide to retain the renewal I carried out during Lent?
6. What areas of my life would I like Christ to renew during Eastertide?
7. How might I become more aware of Christ's blessings in my life? 



MERCY SUNDAY

On the Second Sunday of Easter, the Church celebrates Mercy Sunday- a feast instituted by the late Pope John Paul 11. The Gospel account of Doubting Thomas highlights the need to have faith, but shows Christ's patience with those of us who come to faith through experience. We all have times when we want something extra..a sign, a direction, a clue from God.  Christ encourages us to walk by faith and not by sight.

As we celebrate Mercy Sunday, let us give thanks to the Lord for his goodness and everlasting love.


No comments:

Post a Comment