Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Travelling Light

Hello Friends

Forgive me if my posts are not as regular in the next couple of weeks as I am decluttering my home with a vengeance so that I am able to move forward in my life.  More about that in another post later.

However I have lived in the one house for many decades with my parents who are now deceased, and as I go through the painful process of sorting and throwing and giving away, I can only encourage you to travel light.
I have been gradually starting this process since last October- drawer by drawer, cupboard by cupboard and I have made great headway. However pride comes before a fall and I had a wake up call yesterday when the packers came to assist me.  They were wonderful I have to say but when I saw how much there was to pack, I thought to myself " Oh dear God, I have not made progress at all".  I had to keep reminding myself of how much I had already let go over these last few months.  There is dad's garage and shed to go- horror of horrors as well as their clothes, which I have to say am finding hard to deal with emotionally. It is a job still to do as painful as it is.

I would not have classified myself as a hoarder as such, but I am convinced I must have some hoarder tendencies. I have been constantly asking myself why I have kept all these belongings and my personal response has been that  I keep things because 
  • they may be useful
  • I might need them 
  • they have sentimental meaning. 
  • it is economic to keep them in that if you already have something that you can use, there is no expense especially when I am on a very tight budget.  
  • there is an element of fear at the root of keeping these belongings.
  • I had plenty of space in my home so belongings accumulate without being noticed until there is a wake up call such as moving house.
There may be other reasons which have not yet emerged. If they do, I will let you know.

All I can say is that when I do move house, I am determined to travel light. Life will not be clutter and possessions, but I am determined to make my life simple and uncomplicated, free from all the bips and bops I have collected over the years.

I hope this post might encourage you to have a real good look at your environment.

Imagine that you are moving house and decide what you will take with you and what needs to go.  Then, even if you do not intend moving house, you will have decluttered your physical, emotional and spiritual environment. It is worth the effort, but if you decide to take on this project, then I do advise to give yourself a time frame and go drawer by drawer, cupboard by cupboard.  It is less painful than packing up to move house!!!

Bye for now- more sorting and packing to do today.





No comments:

Post a Comment