Thursday, February 2, 2012

Compendium Series: Where does the soul come from?

70. Where does the soul come from? (CCC366-368.382)

 Compendium states:

The spiritual soul does not come from one’s parents, but is created immediately for God and is immortal. It does not perish at the moment when it is separated from the body in death, and will be once again reunited with the body at the moment of the final resurrection.

What does this mean for me?
  1. I can thank God for my soul that he has created and for its immortal nature.
  2. Since my soul is immortal, I need to spend more time caring and nourishing it through the sacraments and through prayer.
  3. I can pray for the souls in purgatory who desire to be God and whose souls are waiting to be reunited with the body at the final resurrection.
 Questions to consider:
  1. What thought do I give to my immortal soul?
  2. How can I give God my gratitude for my soul that He created and is imperishable?
  3. In the light of this teaching about the soul, do I need to review the balance between what I do for the body and what I do for the soul?
  4. What can I do daily to nourish and nurture my soul? How will I ‘exercise my soul?

No comments:

Post a Comment