Sunday, April 24, 2011

Opening Prayer Series: Easter Sunday Year A

The Opening Prayer for Easter Sunday Year A reads as follows:

Let us pray
(that the risen Christ will raise us up
and renew our lives)
God our Father, 
by raising Christ Your Son 
You conquered the power of death 
and opened for us the way to eternal life. 
Let our celebration today raise us up 
and renew our lives 
by the Spirit that is within us. 

In making this prayer tangible for this coming week, the following reflection questions emerged:

  1. What does the resurrection of Christ mean for my life?
  2. How does Christ's resurrection conquer the power of death when all humanity die?
  3. What would eternal life with Christ mean for me and how can I bring something of this eternal life to my world this coming week?
  4. What is the way to eternal life?
  5. How shall I celebrate today and during this Eastertide to express my renewal of my life?
  6. What spiritual plan will I embark on during Eastertide to continue the work of my Lenten effort?

In today's gospel, we experience the bewilderment  and grief of Mary Magdalene and her quick response to tell Peter. We also experience Peter and John's quick response by running to the tomb and John's respect for Peter- 'He saw the cloths but did not go in' and waited until Peter saw everything untouched. Then the disciples understood the scripture' that He must rise from the dead'.  The question that arises for us in this Gospel is who are we in it (Mary, Peter or John) and what does Christ rising from the dead mean to me.  
Thankfully the Church gives us 50 days to ponder this mystery of the resurrection.


May you all enjoy all the blessing and joy of this Easter day.







No comments:

Post a Comment