Thursday, April 28, 2011

Compendium Series: God is Almighy-why?

50. What does it mean to say that God is almighty? (CCC257-268-278)

Compendium states:
God reveals himself as” the strong One, the mighty One” (Psalm 24:8) the One “to whom nothing is impossible” (Luke 1:37). His omnipotence is universal, mysterious and shows itself in the creation of the word out of nothing and humanity out of love, but above it shows that in the Incarnation and the Resurrection of His Son, in the gift of filial adoption and in the forgiveness of sins.  For this reason, the Church directs her prayers to the “almighty and eternals God” (Omnipotem sempiterne Deus…”)

What does this mean for me?
  1. I can thank God for sending His Son to become ‘word made flesh and dwelt amongst us”, for saving me through the death and Resurrection, for allowing me to be His child through adoption and for forgiveness of sins.
  2. I can also direct my prayer to ‘almighty and eternal God’ in union with the Church and also because I have a greater understanding of what this means.
 Questions to consider:
1. Where do I want the strong One, the mighty One to whom nothing is impossible to act in my life?
2. What is my commitment to the sacrament of Penance/Reconciliation in my life?
3. What is my image of God the Father?

No comments:

Post a Comment