Sunday, August 26, 2012

Opening Prayer Series: Collect for 21 Sunday of yr B

The Collect for the 21st Sunday of Year B reads as follows:

Let us pray,
O God who cause the minds of the faithful 
to unite in simple purpose,
grant Your people to love what You command
and desire what You promise,
that, amid the uncertainties of this world,
our hearts may be fixed on that price 
where true gladness is found.
Through Our Lord Jesus Christ, Your Son,
who lives and reigns with You
 in  the unity of the Holy Spirit, 
one God for ever and ever.

In making this prayer tangible for during the week, the following reflection questions emerged:

  1. What is it that God commands of me this coming week?
  2. What is it that God is truly offering me?
  3. What hinders me from desiring all that God has to offer me?
  4. How does my life reflect my desire to keep my heart fixed on the price of Heaven?
  5. What aspect/s of my life will I change this coming week in order to desire God's promises more and make room in my heart for the ultimate price.
  6. How is my journey for the year of Grace progressing? What one step will I take to more forward in my spiritual journey of growth?
In today's Gospel, Peter's reponse to Jesus'' Lord to whom shall we go'' needs to be our own.  We need to be able to say in our hearts with conviction '' You have the words of everlasting life". We need to truly desire Jesus with our whole heart, soul and mind and with every fibre of our being. 

Like the pharisees, we can grumble and turn away from him, but we do have the chance to turn again to HIm with all our hearts and ask His forgiveness in the sacrament of Reconciliation.  

We need to really WANT  Jesus to be no 1 in our lives- to be Lord of our lives from the moment we awake to the moment we close our eyes each day.  We meet each day because God has willed it for us. He has allowed us to keep breathing during the night and see another day.

So let us live our lives with each day saying

 " Lord to whom shall we go?
You have the words of eternal life''

How will YOUR life express this truth this coming week?

No comments:

Post a Comment