Friday, August 3, 2012

Compendium Series: In what sense is Jesus the only begotten Son of God

83. In what sense is Jesus the Only begotten Son of God”? (CCC 441-445,554)

Compendium states:

Jesus is the Son of God in a unique and perfect way.  At the time of His Baptism and His transfiguration, the voice of the Father designated Jesus as His ‘’beloved Son”.  In presenting himself as the Son who “knows the Father” (Mt 11:27) Jesus affirmed his singular and eternal relationship with God His Father.  He is  “ the Only Begotten Son of God” ( 1Jn 4:9), the second Person of the Blessed Trinity.  He is the central figure of apostolic preaching.  The apostles saw ‘’ his glory as of the Only Begotten of the Father” ( John 1:14).


What does this mean for me?
1. I can thank God the Father for identifying Jesus as the only Begotten Son of God.
2. I can thank God the Father for allowing me to become an adopted child and a beloved son/daughter to Him.
3. I can thank Jesus for coming to earth to save humanity and to share the mysteries of the kingdom with the apostles and through them with the Church.

Questions to consider.
1. How is my relationship with Jesus?
2. How is my relationship with God the Father?
3. What significance does Jesus being the only begotten Son of God have on my status  ie as being an adopted child of God and co-heir to the kingdom?
4.What does it mean for me to know the Father and to know Jesus?

No comments:

Post a Comment