Sunday, August 5, 2012

Feast Days: My Darling St Dominic- Happy Feast Day

Today is the feast of St Dominic in Australia, New Zealand and Solomons.  His feast day is celebrated on 8th August, but in Australia, it is celebrated on 5th because Blessed Mary McKillop's feast day is celebrated on the 8th August. However, this year it is being celebrated on the 7th because the 5th falls on a Sunday.  

My darling St Dominic is a real gentleman and does not mind being moved around the calendar. His feast day used to be on the 6th, but that became the feast of transfiguration, then he was moved to the 4th and that became the feast day of St John Vianney, then he was moved to the 8th. Yes, you guessed it, he was moved again- this time for the feast of St Mary of the Cross (Mary McKillop). Finally he was placed on the 5th and low and behold, because it falls on a Sunday this year, it is moved to the 7th for Australia and New Zealand but 8th for the universal church.

Normally, a saint's feast would not be celebrated on a Sunday, since Sunday takes precedence, but being in a Dominican parish, permission has been sought and granted to celebrate it and hopefully it will be celebrated with style.  Tonight the community will sing Vespers (provided they still have the energy  after celebrating all day), which I am sure will be such a delight and something I look forward to sharing. 


We all have our favourite saints.  St Dominic is my favourite saint.  Being in a Dominican parish from the time I was 13 months has contributed to my love of St Dominic. but I have to say that St Dominic has and always will be my ''go to man'' for all my needs whether it be for practical needs such as parking spots or finding things or personal and spiritual needs.  I consider him to be ''my man in Heaven''.  

Every year we have the Novena to St Dominic. I wish to share with you the prayer to St Dominic that we use for the novena to his Feast Day.

NOVENA PRAYER TO ST DOMINIC
O wondrous hope
which you gave to those who wept for you
at the hour of your death,
promising after your departure
to be helpful to your brethren.
Fulfill, father, what you have said
and help us by your prayers.
You who shone by so many miracles
worked on the bodies of the sick,
bring us the help of Christ
to heal our sick souls.
Fulfill, father, what you have said
and help us by your prayers.


Interested in getting to know more about St Dominic and the Dominican Order, then you might like to check these websites.

HAPPY FEAST DAY TO ALL THOSE WHO LOVE MY DARLING ST DOMINIC.

No comments:

Post a Comment